Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woosh Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2008, 01:45 PM
    The car slowly died & now it cranks but doesn't run.
    I have a 1992 Honda Civic LX sedan with a D15 1.5 liter SOHC, Non-VTEC.
    Just recently, I was driving one night and I heard a clunk from the rear followed by another, both after taking a turn, then the car just slowly died and more throttle didn't have an affect. From that point on, the car just cranks but doesn't run in any way. I had the car towed back home and checked the obvious things and what I could test. I suspected it was the fuel pump because of the clunks I heard from the rear but the fuel pump does in fact work, there is spark for all 4 cylinders, the main relay works, the TPS is working, and the MAP sensor is working. I don't have a way to check fuel pressure but there is fuel running through the lines, from the filter and to the pressure regulator. The only thing I can think it might be is the PCV valve and/or hose/s. Other than that I have no idea what the problem is. BTW, this is the first time this happened and the car ran fine prior to that day with no signs that anything might happen later. So if anybody knows, help would be appreciated...thx.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
    . Test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Perform tests in Sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

. Test compression of each cylinder.

. Check timing belt for slippage.

Aug 12, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    . Test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Perform tests in Sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

. Test compression of each cylinder.

. Check timing belt for slippage.
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply and for these suggestions. Unfortunately my vehicle is still not running. I've checked every fuse and relay both under the hood and under the dash and they're all good & working including the Main relay (It clicked twice on & off when turning the key). My Check Engine Light never came on (except for the 2 seconds when turning the key to ON), but I jumped the service connector with a paper clip and checked for codes anyway and there was none. As I said before, all spark plugs are firing, there is fuel running through and the injectors are working along with the sensors (MAP, TPS, etc.). I checked the timing belt and that was fine. So I did a compression test like you suggested and these are the results... Cyl 1: 175PSI, Cyl 2: 170PSI, Cyl 3: 155PSI, Cyl 4: 80PSI. They all held pressure at those numbers, but I'm sure that means something bad due to cylinder 4 being low and the difference of that among the others. I'd do a cylinder leak down test but I don't have that tester. I really hope the problem isn't too severe. Anyway thanks for the help.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Woosh
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply and for these suggestions. Unfortunately my vehicle is still not running. I've checked every fuse and relay both under the hood and under the dash and they're all good & working including the Main relay (It clicked twice on & off when turning the key). My Check Engine Light never came on (except for the 2 seconds when turning the key to ON), but I jumped the service connector with a paper clip and checked for codes anyway and there was none. As I said before, all spark plugs are firing, there is fuel running through and the injectors are working along with the sensors (MAP, TPS, etc.). I checked the timing belt and that was fine. So I did a compression test like you suggested and these are the results... Cyl 1: 175PSI, Cyl 2: 170PSI, Cyl 3: 155PSI, Cyl 4: 80PSI. They all held pressure at those numbers, but I'm sure that means something bad due to cylinder 4 being low and the difference of that among the others. I'd do a cylinder leak down test but I don't have that tester. I really hope the problem isn't too severe. Anyway thx for the help.

Opps.. sorry to say but you need to run a wet dry compression test to see what's going on or just take it apart. 175 high and an 80 low indicates a seviere problem. Normal range for compression test is no more then 10% between cylinders.

A wet dry compression test means testing the cylinders dry ( as is with nothing added ) and wet ( 1 or 2 shots of oil from an oil can ). That test will determine if your problem is in the top ( head area ) or bottom ( rings & pistons )
    If compression remains the same on the wet test in the low cyl it means your problem is on the top side.
    Hope that helps.
    cax11 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Check the current at th fuel injectors, this most likely would be a bad ecm/ecu(engine control unit), try getting one off another car and plug it up remembering to hook up the grounds, and try starting or get a 12v light tester an checking for pulses

Aug 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Woosh
    I have a 1992 Honda Civic LX sedan with a D15 1.5 liter SOHC, Non-VTEC.
    Just recently, I was driving one night and I heard a clunk from the rear followed by another, both after taking a turn, then the car just slowly died and more throttle didn't have an affect. From that point on, the car just cranks but doesn't run in any way. I had the car towed back home and checked the obvious things and what I could test. I suspected it was the fuel pump because of the clunks I heard from the rear but the fuel pump does in fact work, there is spark for all 4 cylinders, the main relay works, the TPS is working, and the MAP sensor is working. I don't have a way to check fuel pressure but there is fuel running through the lines, from the filter and to the pressure regulator. The only thing I can think it might be is the PCV valve and/or hose/s. Other than that I have no idea what the problem is. BTW, this is the first time this happened and the car ran fine prior to that day with no signs that anything might happen later. So if anybody knows, help would be appreciated...thx.
    Hey, thanks for the help everyone. Turns out the ignition coil wasn't producing enough current for a good spark.
    Got that replaced and now the engine is running just fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Martin died feb 23 I died feb 23 [ 12 Answers ]

My soulmate my life my smile was taken from me feb 23 after 3 weeks in intensive care . He waited for me I got goodbye but it doesn't make it easier. He was 45 he would have been 46 4 days after he died . People say times a healer but at the moment I find every day gets harder and lonlier still...

It is been too slowly. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Recently, I have a problem with my internet speed. When I first enter website (Yahoo) it is no problem. Then I try to enter website under my mail. It takes forever more than 10 minutes. It doesn't allow you exit either. It is freezed. It said Microsoft explore not responsed, sometimes it...

Boyfriend doesn't like my big boobs [ 35 Answers ]

I have at least a size 38C cup size. (I fit better in a D cup, but the pretty bras only go up to 38C) I am 5' 4" and 140 lbs. i am not that over weight, but i have big hips, butt and boobs- you know curves....which i thought was a desirable thing. My boy friend likes B cups and i really think he...

98 Accord Cranks and Cranks [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so I have been browsing the forums tonight and have noticed many people having problems similar to mine on their Honda's. Mine is a 98 Accord LX with almost 219k miles on it. I have maintained it very well and have not had to put much money into it except for regular maintenance. At the...

My computer doesn't read my new burner [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a new burner and my computer won't read it. My computer only has two plugs. The power & the ide flat cable.. my computer keeps saying "disc boot faliure, insert computer disc". I put in the software that came with it but the it won't read it. Did do something wrong & should I take it...

View more questions Search