Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrcuddlesworth Posts: 96, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Growing things
    OK so this is my story:
    Ever since I have been born a was large(tall and fat) so right now I am 13, 230 pounds and 6'2.

Lately I have been talking to my friends and I've been telling them how I want to be taller(they were shocked because I'm the tallest in our school) and I've been wondering how tall I am going be when I stop growingdoes anyone know what height I can grow too??

So earlier this month I was watching a medical diary and it said that doctors in canada have found away to make you taller( apparently they can streacth your bones so you can grow only up too a foot) and the surgery is about 1000.00 dollars and I will be bed ridden for around 1 month. I've been wondering if it's a good idea??

Feel free to send your opinions no matter how mean they are.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Aug 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
    Ok. At 13, you're still growing, so you won't be able to undergo this kind of surgery. Also, by the time you stop growing, you could easily be 6'7. But even if you stay 6'2 for the rest of your life, it's still pretty tall.
    Why would you want this operation?

Also, at a guess I would assume that they're either stretching your bones (which takes years, not months, is intensely painful and CANNOT be done until a person has completely stopped growing) or giving you a bone graft (which also takes years to heal, is intensely painful, cannot be done until you've finished growing AND will take away potential bone grafting materials for people who need then for genuine medical purposes).

So no. Don't do it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 12:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcuddlesworth
    i've been wondering if its a good idea?????
    No, it's not. First of all, you could get taller yet before you're finished growing (around age 21), plus doctors would not perform this procedure on you simply for money or because you want it. They do this kind of thing for people who are born with some imperfection in their bones or who have Crohn's disease or who have not gotten taller for some reason. If you lost some weight, you would look even taller. Are the men in your family a lot like you, tall and big?
    Mrcuddlesworth Posts: 96, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2008, 01:08 AM
    No I'm the tallest in my family and everyone else is skinny]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will I keep growing? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had my period for about a year and I wanted to know if I'm still growing. I'm 12. I heard that after I had my period I would have 2 years to grow but I'm not sure.

Am I growing? [ 33 Answers ]

Ok, here is the deal: I have been married for 11 years, I love my husband and my 4 kids. I am changing mentally, from what I used to believe to what I believe to day. My husband is a strong republican, so I was one too. I can't say that I disagree with him entirely, but my views on politics...

Growing up [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I am 13 years old and in the 7th grade. I have just started to have to shave my armipits and I have been shaving my legs for years. I have also just started sweating a lot to. Is that just part of growing up or is it that I need different deoderant now that I started to shave. I have had...

Growing Ivy [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to paint our house and one side of the house is almost completely covered in ivy and I think the only way to paint that side of the house is to very carefully take the ivy down and when they're done put it back with those ties that they sell at the nursery. It seems like...

View more questions Search