Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    need2know7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Name change
    I need to change my sons last name, due to the last name he has is not his biological fathers name how do I go about changing it? Does it matter if I do it in another state and not the state he was born in?
    IntroducingEmy Posts: 87, Reputation: 12

Aug 9, 2008, 09:58 PM
    If your son is under the age of 14 you can petition the courts for a name change. Both legal parents must agree to the name change and if there is a disagreement, you must prove to the court that the other legal guardian hasn't been active in the child's life for two years prior to the petition.

If the court finds everything in order, his name will be changed for a small fee. Usually between $75 and $125; you'll have to check with the court to be sure. I'm almost positive you can do it in the state you live in currently as long as you and your son are both legal residents there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would the NPV change if the cost of capital change and why? [ 1 Answers ]

Would the NPV change if the cost of capital change and why?

Minor Name Change/Birth Certificate Change [ 2 Answers ]

15 year old minor, born in Marion County, Indianapolis, IN, living in WI with his dad, mom in FL--with joint custody, would like to change his name to his dad's and has both parents consent. Does this have to be filed in IN? Are there forms that the parents can fill out and file without the...

Name change [ 2 Answers ]

My son was adopted by his step dad after my divorce in 1991, we have since been reunited and he wants my last name. How do we get this done. Is there a certain government agency we need to go to?

Last name change [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter, who is 18 yrs. Old, would like to change her father's last name to my maiden name. Questions in regards to this topic: 1. How old she has to be (in NJ) to do this without parental consent? 2. Does her father has to be notified? 3. Will she be considered "emancipated" if she...

How do I change my last name [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change my last name to my fathers last name, but what do I do.:(

View more questions Search