Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cax11 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Mitsubishi Mirage, Ac condenser and pump only come on when engine is hot
    The ac condenser fan does not come on right away when I turn on the ac, neither does the compressor, but after the car reaches normal temp, condenser fan comes on and so does the ac compressor, and the car cools only if the car is left on a stand still so the fans come on often, if the car is moving the additional fan cooling is not needed so the ac compressor stays off. Please help me? I'm wondering if it can be the ecm? Because there is enough gas in the system
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 10:54 AM
    I'd say there is enough in the system or the compressor would never come on.
    Why the compressor only comes on when the fan comes on? There is likely a short in the electrical system or some wires have chaffed and gotten their signals crossed.
    You should have this checked soon or more problems could arise.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 12:47 PM
    I'm scratching my head over this one... what problem are you having exactly? Is the vehicle overheating? Is the A/C system working? Is A/C only blowing cold when the cooling fan comes on?

Aug 9, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    I'd say there is enough in the system or the compressor would never come on.
    Why the compressor only comes on when the fan comes on? There is likely a short in the the electrical system or some wires have chaffed and gotten their signals crossed.
    You should have this checked soon or more problems could arise.

Well I got myself in even bigger trouble, I was using a 12v light tester on the harness connected to the dryer/receiver, relays and the condenser fan.. I recongnized that there was a black and white light that would light up the tester immediately after the blower switch has been switched on, and I also recognized that there was a line that would only show 12v when the fan and ac compressor comes on, I figures that the lines were to be crossed at some point, and spliced the wires and connected them to see the result. I turned off the car then I turn it back on with wires spliced and connected to see the result, the condenser fan and ac compressor came on right away, then shut off after about 10 secs... now the car's rpm don't rise when the ac switch is turned on, the blower still blows, and the condenser fan nor ac compressor comes on at all... there is now no electricity at all in the harness connected to the dryer/recievier and ac condenser fan... there appears to be no blown fuse either in the engine compartment neither by the fuse box by the driver side dash board... plzzzzzzzzzz help me as soon as possible, is there any other fuse link to the system? Or where is likely the circuit is blown??

Aug 9, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384
    I'm scratching my head over this one....what problem are you having exactly? Is the vehicle overheating? Is the A/C system working? Is A/C only blowing cold when the cooling fan comes on?

Well I got myself in even bigger trouble, I was using a 12v light tester on the harness connected to the dryer/receiver, relays and the condenser fan.. I recongnized that there was a black and white light that would light up the tester immediately after the blower switch has been switched on, and I also recognized that there was a line that would only show 12v when the fan and ac compressor comes on, I figures that the lines were to be crossed at some point, and spliced the wires and connected them to see the result. I turned off the car then I turn it back on with wires spliced and connected to see the result, the condenser fan and ac compressor came on right away, then shut off after about 10 secs... now the car's rpm don't rise when the ac switch is turned on, the blower still blows, and the condenser fan nor ac compressor comes on at all... there is now no electricity at all in the harness connected to the dryer/recievier and ac condenser fan... there appears to be no blown fuse either in the engine compartment neither by the fuse box by the driver side dash board... plzzzzzzzzzz help me as soon as possible, is there any other fuse link to the system? Or where is likely the circuit is blown??
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 06:37 PM
    What year is your car?
    I'll look for some schematics...

***EDIT*** Undo any splices you've done and take this to a shop that can check the system properly.
    The schematics available online for your car are vague and won't do you much good if I post them on here.
    Good luck

Aug 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    What year is your car?
    I'll look for some schematics....

***EDIT*** Undo any splices you've done and take this to a shop that can check the system properly.
    The schematics available online for your car are vague and won't do you much good if I post them on here.
    Good luck
    It is a 1995 mitsubishi mirages... I would just like to know if there is any other fuse that is hidden under the dash board that may be linked to the wire harness that control ac condenser and ac compressor

Aug 10, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cax11
    it is a 1995 mitsubishi mirages... i would just like to know if there is any other fuse that is hidden under the dash board that may be linked to the wire harness that control ac condensor and ac compressor

I follow 12v current from the ac switch on the inside of the car though the harness and 12v stop running at the "auto comp control" I change the auto comp control, I would think that it is the compressor control, I change that and now the ac is coming back on at normal temp with the condenser fan.. how should I go about finding the chaffed wires if any?
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
    I have to agree with Rich on this one; you need to take your vehicle to a shop and stop trying to fix it yourself. You've already caused more damage by trying to save yourself some money and you're going to continue to do so unless you let an expert handle this in person.

Aug 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
    I have to agree with Rich on this one; you need to take your vehicle to a shop and stop trying to fix it yourself. You've already caused more damage by trying to save yourself some money and you're going to continue to do so unless you let an expert handle this in person.
    I've been to 2 experts, neither have provided me with any satisfaction, and they happen to be the only 2 on the island. I myself do electrical work in cars but hasn't work around the harnesses as yet.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 05:14 AM
    I'm concerned as to the extent of damage that there may be because you're referring to things like a "condensor fan" or the "harness connected to the receiver dryer" which don't exist; there is a radiator cooling fan which kicks on when the vehicle reaches a certain temperature and the receiver dryer shouldn't have any electrical connections because it's just a filter, not an electrical component.

What did the other 2 people provide you as an answer to the initial problem? Have you taken it directly to Mitsubishi or just to independent shops? For what reason were you not satisfied with the answers?

Aug 11, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I'm concerned as to the extent of damage that there may be because you're referring to things like a "condensor fan" or the "harness connected to the receiver dryer" which don't exist; there is a radiator cooling fan which kicks on when the vehicle reaches a certain temperature and the receiver dryer shouldn't have any electrical connections because it's just a filter, not an electrical component.

What did the other 2 people provide you as an answer to the initial problem? Have you taken it directly to Mitsubishi or just to independent shops? For what reason were you not satisfied with the answers?
    There is a pressure switch located on the top of the receiver dryer, I changed the auto comp control switch, which placed me back where I started and traced the line that would send current to the ac pump and ended up meeting a connector, after forcing in the connector the ac compressor and copndensor fan chipped in, I then disconnencted the connectors and it was slightly burn out inside, I change the connector and now the ac is running fine, thank you for all of your help, my only other issue now is that when I rev the car when the pump is on the pump sometimes lock up and the belt over it squeals any idea?
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 05:46 AM
    If the pump is locking up, then the bearing is probably bad and needs replacement.

Sep 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
    If the pump is locking up, then the bearing is probably bad and needs replacement.

Happens to be a slack fan belt

Sep 16, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Does anyone know what the low and high side pressure should be in a 1995 mitsubishi mirage sedan's a/c system?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring for Goodman AC Heat Pump 3 Ton [ 5 Answers ]

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring for Goodman 3 Ton -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello Everyone, I have a GOODMAN A/C Heat Pump Model# CPLE 36-1 installed 3 years ago. Last week I turned the unit on, the compressor hums (not run)about 3-5...

Heat pump condenser frosts up [ 5 Answers ]

I leave in the Kanas City, MO area and have a heat pump for primary heat with natural gas forced air for backup. When the temperature gets down to the high 20's, the outside unit (condenser?) frosts up and the fins are clogged with frost. It seems to me when the fins are clogged with frost it...

Rudd Heat Pump needs Condenser Motor Wired [ 1 Answers ]

My unit is a Rudd model# UPGB-025JAZ, 208/230 volts year 1997 I believe I have a single pole contactor with a 24 volt coil.. PS thanks for hanging in their with me!

Replacing A/C - condenser or heat pump/condenser [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a condo. All of the units in the building need to new air conditioners because they are all old and will not survive a scheduled reroofing of the building. The association got a bid for a company that will put in a new condenser unit for anyone who wants one - it is about $1500 installed....

View more questions Search