Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2008, 03:57 AM
    Moving washing machine in basement and adding sink
    I've attached an image to describe the current layout as best I can. The above half is the current setup. The washing machine is connected by a gray flexible hose. At the connection point, that vertical section if pipe is about 2' long. It then elbows 90 degrees to the long horizontal run.

Here's the new plan. I want to add a utility sink, and also move the washing machine about 6 feet closer to the main drain location. I would add some slope to that long horizontal run. I plan to remove the trap located at the bottom right corner. Is that OK? I wanted to either put one trap, as marked near the sink, or maybe even put two traps, one located at the "normal" spot under the sink, and one located right before the washing machine. Does this look all right? Do I need some venting? What kind of tee should I use for the split between the utility sink and the washing machine? Please, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 05:05 AM
    What has me mystified is that your original set up drained at all. Undersized pipes, no vent, no fall on the drain line and a trap located over 25 feet away from where it should be. Amazing!
    I plan to remove the trap located at the bottom right corner. Is that OK?
    That trap never should have been there in the first place.
    I wanted to either put one trap, as marked near the sink, or maybe even put two traps, one located at the "normal" spot under the sink, and one located right before the washing machine. Does this look all right?
    EVERY fixture that drains requires a trap and every trap MUST be vented. You may vent both the washer and sink through a vent off the sink. This vent must be run out the roof or it may be revented back to a existing dry vent in the attic. If local codes permit you could get away with installing a AAV, (air admittance vent) on the sink. I would increase the size of the pipe to 2" and give it slope at 1/4 inch to the foot.( You'll have about 5 inches of fall on the new job.)
    If possible I would trade places between the washer and sink. This way the washer discharge wouldn't be able to come up in the sink if there were any back pressure.
    Keep the drain low and raise to pick up the sink with a Sanitary Tee on its back. This will raise to another San Tee to pick up the sink and a vent will take off from the top of that tee. The 2" drain line will continue on and connect into the stack with another San Tee. Good luck, Tom

Aug 7, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Will this work? I vent is running back to the same stack that the drain goes to. The washing machine and sink location is the same as the first image. And of course, thank you for your fast reply.
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Looks like previous HomeOwner was doing some plumbing on your house. :-D Your original set up tells me that washing machine used to be at the trap location. I don't want to repeat the basics. Tom already gave you all details about your installation. Do what he said and you will fine.

Aug 7, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Or maybe this option. I think this is closer to what you describe speedball1.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:31 AM
    That trap riser has to go straight up. You show 90 and then another 90 and then you continue to soil pipe.

Obviously, this set up is to extend reach of your drain to your W/M discharge. Do this: cut the horizontal section, glue in coupling, then glue in section of drain long enough to move the trap as close to your W/M as possible, and than glue together with the other section.

Vent for sink is fine. You are still missing vent for W/M. But with proximity of the sink to the W/M, I think you will be fine.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 06:33 AM
    The bottom one is more what I had in mind. I wan t to keep the sink trap well above the drain line to prevent the washer discharge from backing up into the sink. In fact I sure would like to see the sink installed upstream from the washer if possible. Regards, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Go by your second design... In my area we use Comby fitting for transition from vertical to horizontal. The other San T is fine.

Aug 7, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal
    Go by your second design... In my area we use Comby fitting for transition from vertical to horizontal. The other San T is fine.
    For the combination fitting, is that basically a san-T but a longer "arm" section? I'm found this picture. http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/regu/1...97r.403_20.gif looking at picture 5. You suggest changing the lower of the two from a san-T to a comby fitting?

Will my venting be sufficient?

BTW- the previous homeowner just plain mutilated the entire DWV system down there. If you saw the strange trap/T configuration they had for the original trap location, then the 20+ foot run they had, you'd easily go mad. The 20+ foot run is actually 3 sections of pipe, a 10', 4', and a 8', all coupled by flexible rubber couplers that have hose clamps.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    For the combination fitting, is that basically a san-T but a longer "arm" section? I'm found this picture. http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/regu/1...97r.403_20.gif looking at picture 5. You suggest changing the lower of the two from a san-T to a comby fitting?

Will my venting be sufficient?

BTW- the previous homeowner just plain mutilated the entire DWV system down there. If you saw the strange trap/T configuration they had for the original trap location, then the 20+ foot run they had, you'd easily go mad. The 20+ foot run is actually 3 sections of pipe, a 10', 4', and a 8', all coupled by flexible rubber couplers that have hose clamps.
    That "comby" fitting is called a Combo or a Combination Wye and Eighth Bend. (No.#5 in your link) While we would use a san tee on its back I'll go along with using a combo. Your vent will be fine as long as it doesn't connect into a line that has fixtures draining into it. Good luck, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:54 AM
    That would be #5 in your link: Y with 45 street fitting glued to it. They also sell it as Comby Y which has both fittings already combined in one piece. As far as venting goes, Tom gave you my answer...

Aug 7, 2008, 06:57 AM
    If I downward slope the vent, so that is is like the drain, that would ensure that no water... or at least minimize the ability for water to flow in that direction. Would you recommend doing this? Also, what fitting would you use for connecting the vent back to the stack?
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:59 AM
    You should go 1/4" per foot upward with your horizontal vent. Not downward.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 07:02 AM
    If I downward slope the vent, so that is is like the drain, that would ensure that no water...or at least minimize the ability for water to flow in that direction. Would you recommend doing this? Also, what fitting would you use for connecting the vent back to the stack?
    The vent must be sloped back to the drain and you will run your vent off the top of the sanitary tee that you will pick up the sink with. Good luck, Tom

Aug 7, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal
    You should go 1/4" per foot upward with your horizontal vent. Not downward.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    The vent must be sloped back to the drain
    I think you guys are saying opposite things. Am I misinterpreting someone?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 07:48 AM
    I think you guys are saying opposite things. Am I misinterpreting someone?
    No! We just said it differently. The vent will slope up from the drain line and slope back to the drain line. Same result, different wording! Tom

Aug 7, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    No! we just said it differently. The vent will slope up from the drain line and slope back to the drain line. Same result, different wording!. Tom
    Thanks for clearing it up! Also, thanks to you both for the help. Hopefully I'll get this done tonight :-)
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Good luck. Let us know if you need any additional help. Also, photos are very helpful getting your point across...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding drain for washing machine - do I need a pea trap and vent? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 2 new washers and dryers on each floor in our two flat in a kitchen pantry (the building is 120 year old frame building.) We are installing the wall insert that has the hole for the water coming in and a hole to put the drain hose going out. I know it has to be about 42" off the...

Adding new utility tub and washing machine drain [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have my washing machine running into the floor drain in my basement. I would like to add a utility tub, and a washing machine drain pipe. About 16' away there is a drain line from the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. This line is ABS, and has a 1 1/2" cleanout with threaded cap. ...

Kenmore washing machine won't drain after moving it [ 5 Answers ]

Sold machine it worked buyer says it won't drain water

Moving a toilet and adding a sink [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 150 year old house so there are several unusual features. I want to move a toilet that is on a 3 inch copper line 6 feet away from the 3 inch copper drain stack. It is currently 2 feet away. The vent at the main stack is 2 inches and it is at a 90 degree angle to...

View more questions Search