Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 02:13 PM
    How do you make a cat stop scratching the furniture?
    I have five cats and a huge scratching post. Only the two youngest ever use the scratching post. The second and third cats like to use the wood trim around my front door as a scratching post. I am looking for some sort of product that will put an end to this behavior. Any suggestions will be most gratefully received. I have tried a product named Boundary which worked for about a week and then they were back at the wood, even though I kep respraying the wood. Please help!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 02:20 PM
    I would cut/get me a nice solid block of wood and put it where they could scratch it. For right now I would use cover the door in painters tape and the apply double sided sticky tape so their paws will stick to the door.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Where is the scratching post located? Cats scratch to mark territory, so they are naturally inclined to scratch near doors. If you locate a scratching post close to the door, they may very well decide to use that instead. Having one close to the food also helps.
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Thank you. I can't move their big scratching post but I do have a second, smaller one that might do the trick!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 09:07 PM
    It should. If worse comes to worse, the 5 dollar cardboard scratchers are actually very popular with most cats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does veneer make furniture antique? [ 8 Answers ]

If I have a bed that has veneer on it, does that mean it is an antique? I was told that they used veneer back before plywood was made and that the bed I have is really old and I just wanted to find out if it is an antique or not. Thanks!

Will Omega 3/6 pills stop my Golden's scratching himself raw? [ 5 Answers ]

My Golden is 5 years old and has a history of scratching himself down to the bloody skin. The vets always say food allergies. He has been eating Hills ZD Ultra hypoallergy food now for 4 months and he still is scratching. A friend had luck with something called Derma Cap? Does anyone have...

How do I make my furniture look old? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I make my furniture look old?

How do I stop my cat from urinating on my furniture? [ 9 Answers ]

I scrolled through the asked questions or topics, couldn't find anything close to my question.:confused:

How to make my furniture look old. [ 28 Answers ]

I've just painted some furniture that I had made of pine like a set of coffee and end tables, a jelly cabinet and a bench. I put two coats of paint on and I'm thinking I should have just put one and then sanded. The paint is a water based enamel and I'm wondering what the best method is to use. ...

View more questions Search