Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sfreeland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Side by side refrigerator/freezer inadequate cooling
    This GE side by side Profile series, about 12 years old, is cooling poorly. I used "ACME how to" web site to trouble shoot the problem. Got down to the timer switch which proved defective on testing. Replaced it. Thought the problem solved. Cooled better at first. Within a day or so the best temp in freezer was 20 degrees. More ice was also noted on the rear panel. When the panel was removed the bottom third of the evaporator coils, those between the two heater elements, were cased in ice. Retested new switch. It seems to be okay. Retested heater elements. I get continuity. According to some resources there should be some resistance. Went to the parts store and tested a new set of elements. Got the same reading. I am confused and frustrated. Help!
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Aug 4, 2008, 07:28 PM
    On our fridge there was a radiator thingy underneath that got jammed with dust and lint. We vacuumed it out and the fridge worked much better.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
    If evaperator coil was iced up you have one of two problems, low refrigeriant or lack of air flow. If refrigeriant is R12 (and it probably is) you will need refrigeration mechanic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE side by side refrigerator; frost-free freezer freezes up causing fridge to warm [ 27 Answers ]

We have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 5 years old but for the past year+ we've been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside, and then the refrigerator doesn't get cold. I have to unplug everything, take the shelves out of the freezer...

Maytag side by side fridge freezer-- occasional ice up, defroster buzzes [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, all -- - Our Maytag SIDE BY SIDE ( MSD2356AEB) occasionally builds up ice on the coil in the freezer. I turn the unit off, remove the rear panels, defrost with a hair dryer, then reassemble after the half hour or so it takes to "hairdry" it. I restart, and the unit works beautifully. ...

Maytag Side-by-Side Freezer ice buildup on floor of freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old Maytag side-by-side #MSD2754GR. I have had this problem for the last four years and have cleaned out the clogged drain plug each year myself. Seems that the ice buildup is coming somewhere else since water is not dripping down the back. Yes, it is humid and we are using...

2 month old 1,100.00 Whirlpool refrigerator dripping water on freezer side only. [ 1 Answers ]

Our problem is we have water dripping down the back wall of the freezer to the bottom tray. The water is not hitting the floor yet. Hopefully we caught it soon enough. This is happening in our new whirlpool model #ED5HGXSB00 that we bought 2-3 months ago from Best Buy. It is a side by side...

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

View more questions Search