Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sibling Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Possibility of foreclosure soon
    My friend & I are behind pymts & soon it's about to go into foreclosure. She has another house where she resides in another state w/little equity. I have a house (my family & I have equal shares on this house) with equity & no mtg. If the house we're both on mtg goes into foreclosure, would I be forced to repay it from the equity of my house? If so, will this affect my family's shares? Also, will my retirement plan be affected?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Your retirement plan may be 'exempt' under state of federal law, but your equity in the family property is subject to your debts, and your equity is subject to any family member's debts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 11:22 AM
    They may come after their money in many ways, they really want cash, garnishments, attachments of bank accounts and more. Putting a lien on your other property is most likely the last thing they want to do
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Laws on this are changing. The current mortgage crisis has forced local, state and even the federal govt to enact laws protecting people caught in the credit crunch. So its hard to state for sure what the prevailing laws are for your area.

If the law allows the lender to obtain a definciency judgement if there is a balance left after auction, then yes, they can go after most assets you have. However, if they don't, then your other assets are protected. You could, however, find yourself with a larger tax bill, if the deficiency is allowed to be forgiven as a gift. You would then get a 1099 representing the deficiency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a possibility? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 17 years old and I am scared that I could be pregnant. I had my period on December 24 and had sex with my boyfriend on 3,4,5 and two days ago I started feeling really hungry... and every time I eat I feel like I never get full... and I don't want to tell anyone because of what people may think...

Possibility of getting pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday was the first time I had sex with my partner. He wore a condom and even when he came, he did it outside of me. Prior to that, he rubbed his penis on my vagina though the head was dry and had no precum. Is there a possibility of me getting pregnant? My period will be due in about a...

Possibility ? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I went through IVF and we are going in for our blood test in the morning to see if were pregnant. I'm spotting and when I wipe I get a brownish discharge. Does this mean I'm not pregnant?:confused:

I want him back.is this a possibility? [ 3 Answers ]

I starting dating my boyfriend last June and in 3 weeks he put a ring on my finger. Within 6 weeks we were living together. Everything was great and he was the man of my dreams but I had one problem... I am an addict. I tried to stay clean but every month and a half or two months I went on...

Is this a possibility [ 2 Answers ]

Can you help is it possible that if you need to stop having children that the hospital could give you a hysterectomy:confused:

View more questions Search