Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammyl1633 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Laundry line backing up in shower pan
    New shower pan and shower drain installed a couple years ago. Shower drains fine.. washing machine less than 3 feet away starts backing up in shower. Does not overflow from standpipe. Standpipe is 18" high , 1 1/2 " inside diam.
    Galvanized. I'm thinking to cut standpipe near bottom and install 2" abs with no hub coupler and make it obviously higher. Also snake laundry line and most likely kitchen line . This is a very old house,. kitchen and room with washer and shower stall only
    Are on cement slab. Plumbing co. installed shower pan.and new line to the tune of over 3000.00 , I will check under house this week, (next day off) to see exactly what was done , I am almost posi tive the only abs is shower line. I just saw this house yesterday. Very sweet 84 year old new client and friend with very limited funds. Who lives alone.
    I know this whole situation is not even close to code. I just want to help her out I did home repair work and quite a bit of plumbing for the past 10 years. I am now a manager with a well known non profit organization, which is where I met this very sweet lady. Does any one have any other suggestions? Thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Hi Tammy,
    washing machine less than 3 feet away starts backing up in shower. does not overflow from standpipe. Standpipe is 18" high , 1 1/2 " inside diam.galvanized. I'm thinking to cut standpipe near bottom and install 2" abs with no hub coupler and make it obviously higher
    If it doesn't over flow there's no advantage to increasing the height of the stand pipe.
    Has the washer always backed up in the shower or did this just start? I need a answer to this. If it backed up in the shower from day one then it's a design flaw and there's not much you can do. However, if this is a new problem this indicates a partial blockage downstream from the shower that can be snaked and cleared. Let me know, Tom
    tammyl1633 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Tammy,
    If it doesn't over flow there's no advantage to increasing the height of the stand pipe.
    Has the washer always backed up in the shower or did this just start? I need a answer to this. If it backed up in the shower from day one then it's a design flaw and there's not much you can do. However, if this is a new problem this indicates a partial blockage downstream from the shower that can be snaked and cleared. Let me know, Tom
    Thank you for your quick response. The drain hose is pretty tight in the stand pipe, I will call her in the morning to answer your question, I don't think her kitchen sink ever backs up. Her shower by itself doesn't back up either I don't think. Does this matter
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Tammy,
    I don't think her kitchen sink ever backs up. Her shower by itself doesn't back up either I don't think. Does this matter
    This is not what I asked. I asked; "Has the washer always backed up in the shower or did this just start?"
    I need to know! Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 09:01 AM
    You have blockage in the drain. Clean the drain and you will be fine.

That stand pipe shoud be 30" from the trap. But still, installing taller stand pipe will not solve your present problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink Disposal backing up through the laundry tub [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I used my sink disposal and the food came up through my laundy tub in the basement. The sink drains fine when the disposal is not in use. Is this a common or serious problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Laundry machine backing up [ 2 Answers ]

For the last year or so I have been having problems with my laundry machine draining. I live in a mobile home, about 4 years old. My machine leaks sometimes when it drains. This usually happens when I either do 3-4 laods in a row or happens almost every time if I do towels no matter how many I had...

Bathtub backing up into Laundry Tubs [ 3 Answers ]

My shower drain was running slow, so after pouring liquid plumber down it to get it moving again, I went downstairs and noticed the laundry tub was backed up with murky brown water on both sides (it's divided) and I could smell the liquid plumber in it. The tub for some reason backed up into the...

View more questions Search