Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 02:14 AM
    IUD form of birth control
    I am thinking of getting an IUD, and want some info.

-Does insertion hurt?
    -Does it make intercourse hurt?
    -Can it cause infection?
    -Does Planned Parenthood do this?
    -What are the risks?
    -What is its accuracy?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 03:10 AM
    Depends heavily on the IUD and the person putting it there. The pain ranges from

"minor discomfort" during the insertion and was fine by the next day

To

Hurt less than a pap smear and had cramping for the next couple of days

To

Hurt a lot; felt like I was having heavy cramps for the next two weeks.

... so... yeah, quite a range.

After the initial soreness is over, the patient usually gets used to the IUD. The sex... some people complain about the sex being uncomfortable, others say that they don't notice it. With the Mirena IUD, a lot of MALES complain about the tip of the IUD poking their tip...

There is a risk of infection when inserting the IUD, and there is also a higher risk of bacterial infection with the IUD. Many suggest having a monogamous relationship to downplay the risks.

The risk of pregnancy depends on the IUD itself, but it's fairly close to 99%.

I'm sure all that info deterred you away from getting an IUD... but... I'm a guy... working in a hospital... so I never hear about the "good things"... I just hear about the complaints. Perhaps someone with an IUD can come tell you how wonderful it is. Your doctor or the local planned parenthood center should have more info on this. The local planned parenthood center does perform IUD insertions, but I believe the locations that they offer are limited. You can find more info here:

Planned Parenthood IUD
    Vision Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    depends heavily on the IUD and the person putting it there. The pain ranges from

"minor discomfort" during the insertion and was fine by the next day

to

hurt less than a pap smear and had cramping for the next couple of days

to

hurt a lot; felt like I was having heavy cramps for the next two weeks.

...so...yeah, quite a range.

After the initial soreness is over, the patient usually gets used to the IUD. The sex...some people complain about the sex being uncomfortable, others say that they don't notice it. With the Mirena IUD, a lot of MALES complain about the tip of the IUD poking their tip...

There is a risk of infection when inserting the IUD, and there is also a higher risk of bacterial infection with the IUD. Many suggest having a monogamous relationship to downplay the risks.

The risk of pregnancy depends on the IUD itself, but it's fairly close to 99%.

I'm sure all that info deterred you away from getting an IUD...but...I'm a guy...working in a hospital...so I never hear about the "good things"...I just hear about the complaints. Perhaps someone with an IUD can come tell you how wonderful it is. Your doctor or the local planned parenthood center should have more info on this. The local planned parenthood center does perform IUD insertions, but I believe the locations that they offer are limited. You can find more info here:

Planned Parenthood IUD
    Actually none of that deterred me from getting it. All that I am really worried about is infection, and it's accuracy.

Ironically enough, the only person that I know that has gotten it is a parapalegic, so asking her whether it hurt would be kind of pointless..
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Never used that form of birth control, but a friend did. She was in unbearable pain for over a month and finally had to have it removed.

I have heard that and iud can cause sterility, but not sure if that's accurate or not, just something I heard.
    Vision Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Hmmm... not cool! I want babies, just not right now.
    Vision Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 06:02 PM
    What about the patch?

I want something other than the pill or shot.
    parent25 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Aug 9, 2008, 08:09 PM
    I recently had the mirena inserted a little more than a month ago. It did not hurt at all. It was a small little pinch and I was soooo scared cause yes I had heard only the horror stories and none of the good.

Pain just all depends on the person. Two of my older sisters have them and have had them for many years now. Both of them love it but while being inserted one did have a very painful experience. The other did not. The sister who had it the worst is also the one who had never had children before (its not recommended for people who have not had children yet so I was kind of shocked her doc gave it to her a few years ago). My other sister has had 3kids already and it was easily inserted and did not experience any cramps only mild ones in the begginning. (she says she will never switch to any other kind of birth control and loves it!)

So when I decided to go ahead with the iud I was nervous but had come to terms that this was one of the most effective and cheapest (in the long run) forms of birth control. It also does not affect my weight or have any strange side effects. Both of my sisters agreed.

I sure didn't want to take a pill everyday or wear a patch and worry about it falling off or not being applied correctly.

Anyhow, so I've had it now and my only complaint is that I can sometimes feel the thread. It does not hurt but I can feel it. When it was inserted I had slight mild cramps but took an advil and it went away. I have been bleeding off and on since I had it inserted. This is a bad thing since I don't know when its coming anymore but it only last for 2 days really heavy then its gone.

I feel the thread most when I am bleeding. (it feels like its slipping out and poking me.. kinda hard to explain). But when I'm not on my period I don't feel the iud at all.

In conclusion.. :)

I say go for it! The good definitely outweighs the bad. I am very happy with my decision. Oh and make sure to discuss this with your doctor. I know I had at least two visits and at least 3 phone conversations with the nurse before I decided to go ahead with it. Im one of those type who has to know EVERY little thing that could go good or bad!

Oh and as far as infection goes.. you take an antibiotic 2x a day for 3 days after you insert it to prevent any infection so no need to worry about that. The doc will give you a simple prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Hmmm...not cool! I want babies, just not right now.

Oh and keep in mind the IUD is NOT recommended for people who have not had children yet.
    Vision Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parent25
    Oh and keep in mind the IUD is NOT recommended for people who have not had children yet.
    Why is that?
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2008, 01:20 AM
    The long term effects on fertility hasn't been exactly been figured out.
    Vision Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Oh okay. Thanks for clarifying that...

What about the patch?
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2008, 01:32 AM
    I've heard really good things about the ortho evra patch... not too many people who use it, but I've heard good things about it.
    Vision Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 01:33 AM
    I will have to look into it... When I can finally get in to see the doctor..
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2008, 01:35 AM
    Yeah, that's always the toughest.

Planned parenthood in your area?
    Vision Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 01:37 AM
    Yup. And that's where I plan to go... but their hours are worse than going to the doctor.

Aug 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Why is that?

It has to do w/ insertion and the cervix. The iud is easier to place and less painful for people who have had a child (causing the cervix) to be more open. I know I begged my doc for the iud before I had my son and she refused.

If you have it inserted and have never had a child before you have risk of higher pain, not being inserted correctly, and risk of falling out.

Go to the mirena website or request info from your doc. It is all explained there and a lot more detailed.
    Vision Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parent25
    It has to do w/ insertion and the cervix. The iud is easier to place and less painful for people who have had a child (causing the cervix) to be more open. I know I begged my doc for the iud before i had my son and she refused.

If you have it inserted and have never had a child before you have risk of higher pain, not being inserted correctly, and risk of falling out.

go to the mirena website or request info from your doc. It is all explained there and a lot more detailed.
    That's odd because I have three friends that do not have children, and they all have iud's.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Every form of birth control has it pros and cons. You need to look at each one separately to determine which one is right for you.

Aug 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
    That's odd because I have three friends that do not have children, and they all have iud's.

Well like I said.. go to your doc and ask these questions.. also go to the mirena website and it will say there that the best candidates for the iud are people who have already have had at least one child.

And yes you are right, some docs do give it to people who have yet to have a child just like one of my sisters. I never said it "could not" be done simply that there are other forms of birth control that better suited.. not all docs will do it though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Which form of birth control? [ 3 Answers ]

My doctor prescribed me Ortho Tri-Cyclen. So I went on the website and I discovered they have a new pill called "Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo" which is a low dose hormone pill, but they said that for Ortho Tri-Cyclen as well. Does anyone know the difference? I am 19 years old, and am on the thin side. I'm...

Birth control [ 16 Answers ]

I have taken depo-provera for two years and how been off depo-provera for over a year. And haven't had any birth control but I just recently took two birth control pills at once, can I still get pregnant?

Abortion as a form of birth control [ 2 Answers ]

Over the last 10 years I have known a couple women that have used abortion as a form of birth control. They have excuses such as : the pill makes me gain weight, it doesn't feel the same with a condom on, oops... I firmly believe in a woman's right to choose what she wants to do with her body,...

Birth COntrol [ 9 Answers ]

I started brith control last Sunday and my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on Wednesday.. is that enough time for the birth control to start "working" or is there a chance that I could get pregnant? And how high of a chance?

View more questions Search