Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Aug 1, 2008, 10:59 AM
    cement backer board over vinyl tile
    Is it OK to screw cement backer board over 12 x12 vinyli tile before applying ceramic tile?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Yes , should be fine.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I did it with no problems occurring.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 11:25 AM
    If you do it the way James Hardie spells out in his Hardibacker installation instructions you should screw and glue with modified thinset. Hardi makes special screws for their backer board, I'd use them. I don't think Harold or Smearcase are wrong in their approach but Hardi is safer in the very long run.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 11:40 AM
    I agree with Bob, (mutual admiration society here), those cement screws have a little burr underneath the head that makes sinking below the surface easy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is backer board needed under porcelain tile [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing porcelain tile in a 30 sq ftbathroom. Presently there is carpet on new plywood. No damage to the plywood. Do I need to install backerboard first or will the good plywood be OK without the backerboard?

Removing Old Vinyl Tile from Cement Floor [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove old vinyl tile from a cement floor? The tile has been on the floor for approx. 25 years and is securely stuck to the cement. Thank you, Mary Hamilton

Shower wall materials-Cement Backer Board or Drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I have a debate going on regarding whether one should use cement backer board or waterproof drywall on the shower walls before installing the ceramic tile. What is most commonly used in the industry? Looking forward to your answers :p

Applying Redgard (waterproofing) to cement backer board [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions. (1) Do I need to tape the seems on the cement backer board or should I use caulking? (2) If the seems need to be taped, do I apply the Redgard before or after I tape the seems on the cement backer board? I will be applying slate over the top of the board to create a...

Can I Paint Cement Board Now, and Tile Later? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finishing a new shower, I used a pre-fab shower enclosure set and would like to tile the walls and ceiling over the shower in the long run. For now though, I'd like to wrap it up. I know I can prime and paint the backerboard but I don't know if this makes it unsuitable for tiling over later....

View more questions Search