Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirkel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Is my boss friendly or is he flirting with me
    I am really confused... I am really attracted to my boss who is about ten years older than me and widowed. I am 43. You would think I would know better... I am divorced and haven't really dated since. He always smiles and says my name in greeting. When he walks past my desk he looks to see if I am looking at him. While walking towards me once recently down the hallway he had a big smile which I returned and winked at me. Sometimes I have to go to his office to chase up some issue and he always smiles and is nice.. Maybe I'm just creating this in my mind, but I feel a certain vibe when he is around. When talking to him about work, I maintain eye contact reguralry which he also holds and in meetings I feel as though he is talking to me most of the time as he is looking directly at me. Am I imagining it?

Thanks tickle, but perhaps I should explain a little more. I'm not a new employee, however haven't really worked with him before, he worked in a different area of the department and now is my boss. In the hierarchy I have a manager above me and below him, he is the director, but I still liase with him fairly frequently. And I tried your suggestion last week actually and he did seem confused and not in the best of moods, however I was unsure if it was because I was ignoring him or whether it was work. Anyway today I had rather a good conversation with him mostly about work. However he made some jokes at which I found funny. And he seemed more attentive than usual. Although it could be complicated, I am not in any danager of losing my job as I work for the government and can't get fired for fratenising, however I know it isn't wise to have work relationships.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 05:47 AM
    I don't need to say, I think you know, that office attractions (especially with your boss) are really off limits for a number of reasons. You may be reading more into this then is actually there. He probably is just making a new employee welcome by friendly gestures because he is the boss and has to put h is best foot forward.

Do a test if you want to know. See if he is unhappy if you don't appear friendly, ignore him other then business issues, stay cool. If there is no difference in his demeanor then forget it. If he seems confused by your inattentiveness, then there could be something there, but it is up to you to decide how you are going to handle a situation like this. If anything happens between the two of you, you would definitely have to leave your job.

Good jobs that pay well and give you satisfaction are not that easy to come buy nowadays. Need I say more :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 06:15 AM
    I would cool it a bit because who knows how long before rumors start to fly.
    Then the big 'what if' is you start dating and things don't work out, you break up and your job suffers --if you even have one to go back to.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Do you know what the office gossip is about him?? That's very helpful in a lot of cases. :D

Anyway, since you are naïve and inexperienced in your own way(that is a quality that *many* find attractive) I have to tell you... it's all about *keeping your job*... just continue being your friendly self and don't consider any kind of more intimate relationship with your boss.

Best wishes :)
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 03:05 PM

Trust me on this: leave it alone.

He may be flirting.
    You may be flirting.
    But if you continue, you both will be hurting.

This is an iron clad guarantee. I've been there, and have seen it and no one ever wins. Go to a bar, a bowling alley, a library, a park, a bookstore, a coffee shop... But office chemistry - especially with a superior can escalate quickly and unless you can handle: it not working out, being the subject of office gossip, and maybe having to change jobs - then let it go.

If so, keep smiling...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Is my boss friendly or is he flirting with me

It doesn't matter as this is your job, and livelihood and that's the way it should be treated. This forum is full of office romance that has gone wrong and created chaos.

Keep your work separate from your social life.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Never mess around with ANYONE you work with...

Period, end of story, no stipulations or special circumstances... its something to be avoided at all times.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jul 28, 2008, 11:34 AM
    I think since you like him, you are reading too much into it. It sounds like he is a friendly guy, he actually sounds like a lot of my male coworkers. Besides, would you rather have a friendly coworker or one who scowls all the time?
    Andrew916 Posts: 182, Reputation: 33

Jul 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Even if he is flirting with you, you should ignore- if you like your job that is. You and he can both get into some serious trouble forthings like this. Just ask yourself if he's really worth it.
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 12:55 PM
    I have been in situations like this "in the big city" and it can be incendiary... super hot. Super hard to resist... and the end is... oh man. Not good... but it is tough to ignore. I mean you are seeing someone up to 8 hours a day!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash123
    i have been in situations like this "in the big city" and it can be incendiary.....super hot. super hard to resist....and the end is... oh man. not good...but it is tough to ignore. i mean you are seeing someone up to 8 hours a day!
    And exactly why it nearly always gets nasty. Unless an involved party quits they ARE going to get on each others nerves and then there is the rumours...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my boss flirting with me? Or does he just care about me? [ 4 Answers ]

I am really confused with whether my boss is flirting with me or just being friendly: He winks at me He walks past me, looks me in the eye and holds my gaze and then smiles I passed him a recept the other day and he practically took my hand with it (Slid his hand down my hand)as he looked me in...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Is my boss flirting with me? [ 5 Answers ]

I am really confused with whether my boss is flirting with me or just being friendly: He winks at me He walks past me, looks me in the eye and then smiles I passed him a recept the other day and he practically took my hand with it (Slid his hand down my hand)as he looked me in the eye and said...

Is he flirting or just being friendly? [ 16 Answers ]

I had car trouble and had to call a local garage for help. When the help arrived he got things fixed was friendly and charged me way less than expected. Skip ahead I needed help again same man came to help , fixed the car for the time told me to bring it in next day for repair. He did not charge me...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search