Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dee1959 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Fixing leaking water lines
    Mt husband and I replaced a leaking faucet. We opened the drains to drain the water out of the system. We got all the solders done but one. There is water in the line and we can't get it out. We have tried numerous times to solder the pipe but it has a pinhole leak.
    Any ideas where the water is coming from?? Help...
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 24, 2008, 02:10 PM
    If there is the slightest moisture in and around the pipe where you are sweating it, the solder won't take. Get a stick with a rag and place it into the pipe to dry it out. Or get a compressor and take a valve that blows air and blow the air out.

Are the piple 3/4 or 1/2?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Hi Dee1959:

In this case, I would have you shut the water to the entire house, and open all faucets including the outside faucet... ok?

Then I would have you try to solder the defective joint again...

If that doesn't work and you still find that water is present then you may need to go BELOW this joint by a foot or so and start to BOIL the water out of the line (shutoffs open, faucet open). Here, you heat the copper pipe and look at faucet spout and should see some steam coming out the spout... you can't OVERHEAT the line so you dry up BELOW the joint and end up unsoldering the joint below that, but need to heat it so you get a few inches of water removed so you can solder the joint.

If this fails to work after this then most likely the joint has gone bad and will need to be cut out and then redone following the rules I just outlined... ok?

That's how to do it... OPEN ALL faucets in house, drain to BELOW the faucet in question... boil water out if necessary, and /or replace leaking part if needed. That should get you up and running.

Let me know how it goes... or if you have any more questions!

MARK
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Can you describe the piping that you can't drain, such as " a pipe coming out of the basement floor below all faucets".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixing leaking outdoor faucent [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to fix a leaking outdoor faucet. I removed the screw holding in the faucet, but the handle will not come off. I tried penetrating oil, but that doesn't seem to help. I am reluctant to apply too much pressure. What can I do to get the handle off?

How to plug leaking oil heat copper lines at floor level [ 1 Answers ]

Copper supply and return lines (1/2" copper) remain from a removed oil heater. The 3' lines are cracked at the concrete floor level and weep oil when moved. What is the best way to seal these lines at floor level? I have thought of using a wooden or metal plug, solder or epoxy. Since the lines...

Fixing a leaking intake valve [ 12 Answers ]

Do I need to call a plumber to fix a leaking intake valve for cold water to my washing machine -- is this a soldering job? The valve leaks when I open it, and drips even when I shut it closed clockwise. Thanks, I tried searching this page and didn't see any previous posts, sorry if I am repeating...

Fixing Low water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I own a 2 story home and have always had problems with my water pressure. All my neighbors do as well. When I first turn the shower or faucet on the water come sout with a little more pressure but then dwindles to a trickle. I have copper piping and have had all the piping checked by a...

Fixing low water pressure [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 story home with a shower on the 2nd floor and one on the 3rd floor. I also have low water pressure that gives me some pretty weak showers. Is there a way to increase my pressure? I should say that this situaution is not unique to my neighborhood. Thanks.

View more questions Search