Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmneighbors1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Corner Shower is leaking through wall.
    Last night I discovered that my carpet was wet and starting to mold in the corner of my downstairs living room. In the same corner on the opposite side of the wall is my corner shower. I live in an older split foyer home.

I'm thinking the leak is coming from the shower somehow, but I've checked around for breaks in the caulk and above the surround and cannot find a thing. Now I'm down to thinking it is leaking underneath the shower and trickling through the wall along the floor and getting the carpet wet.

Am I going to have to rip out the entire corner shower to find the leak or might it be the drain seal?

I have no plumbing experience and I am so upset about this. Thanks to whomever for the advice.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Pull the eschution ring around the shower arm away from the wall. With a flashlight look in the hole to see if you have any moisture. If necessary enlarge the hole, just don't make it so big the eschution will not cover.

Jul 23, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Pull the eschution ring around the shower arm away from the wall. With a flashlight look in the hole to see if you have any moisture. If necessary enlarge the hole, just don't make it so big the eschution will not cover.

I'm really stupid, please forgive me... what is the eschution ring? My shower surround goes up pretty high and the shower head comes out of the surround. Is it a ring around the shower head (where it meets the wall) or is it related to the drain?

Thank you for your advice!

Jul 23, 2008, 09:20 AM
    The ring around the shower pipe where it comes out of the wall (shower surround).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 09:59 AM
    You have trap and a drain line unedr the shower, do you have access to see the trap? I can think of 4 reasons you have a leak, Harold is working on a bad mixing valve or shower head pipe. It could also be a bad drain seal or a shower surround that flexes with body weight in the shower.

Jul 24, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Thank you guys for your suggestions. I'm going to check into where the shower head comes out of the surround and also the drain seal. I don't really understand about the surround that moves with body weight. We've lived in the house just over a year and it appears that this has only been happening for the last couple weeks even though we just realized it. I'm assuming to check the drain seal, I unscrew it and lift it up and try to reapply some plumbers putty or something to it. The shower sits on a base or pan that is a couple inches off the floor and I'm not sure how I could get underneath it, so hopefully I won't have to.

I will let you know if I find the problem or need more help. You both have been very helpful to a complete plumbing idiot!

Jul 24, 2008, 01:41 PM
    I'm still betting on the shower arm.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 24, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Does the shower tiled? If there is a slightest crack in the grout in between tiles, it will leak underneath AND if there is no vinyl on top of the mud pan, the water is leaking through and under the shower door threshold.

As incredible as it sounds, some shower pans are not lined with the vinyl before installing the shower.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower wall leaking in manufactured home [ 4 Answers ]

:( My shower is leaking somewhere but I can't see a visible leak, the carpet behind shower wall is wet and the paneling is soft on bottom near floor. My husband is worried about removing the paneling because the light switch is also on this side of wall. The shower floor drains extremely slow....

Leaking plumbing somewhere behind shower wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first question on here.. I have two bathrooms up stairs and one is leaking so that I can see the water stain downstairs on the ceiling. There's also a seems like some water damage beside the tub wall possibly behind the wall below the faucet level. I was wondering what should...

Water Leaking through the Shower Tile Wall [ 1 Answers ]

I take a shower and when the shower dry's I see some water leaking at the bottom where it comes through the wall into the shower at floor. After I saw that I went back and added more teflon tape for the shower faucets and new rubber and new monel seats. I still see a little water draining out the...

Shower wall tile grout leaking [ 1 Answers ]

After every shower, carpet corner just outside the shower door is very wet. Shower wall is made of ceramic tile. I covered and taped the wall with large plastic. I didn't see anymore leaks. I removed the plastic and inspected the grouts and corners very closely. I don't see any cracks. Can the...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

View more questions Search