Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qwerty12 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 12:15 PM
    TV converter box
    I recently hooked up a new converter box to my TV that has an outside antenna. Trying to get ready for next years digital/analog conversion. The picture is great and all was hoooked up correct. However, I get a lot of choppy pictures, where picture seems to break up a lot. Is this in the new converter box or possibly in my wire connection at the top of the antenna? Or possibly with the transmission from the local TV channel.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
    There is a term called, "Hashing".

The image breaks up into little boxes of trash. Is that what you are seeing. If it is, it is usually related to signal problems when storms are in the area.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Digital sets will, unfortunately require a better antennae system. It's all or nothing usually.
    qwerty12 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Hashing. OH Great! I also have DISH network and when storms, or even a wind, the signal goes to crap and we loose it altogether. I thought the new way to broadcast TV was supposed to be better than the old. With the old system, I never had hashing!!
    This new system totally sucks!! When are they going to really improve it?
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 23, 2008, 03:40 PM
    There seems to be some confusion here. In this case it's not digital TV, it's signal carrier conversion. TV signals used to be transmitted via analog carrier, and as of Feb 17, 2009, all signals will be carried digitally. Hence the need for the converter box, which merely converts the digital to analog so an older style TV can still be used. This applies only to over the air TV. Cable and satellite won't be affected until 2012.

Is it possible the TV you have is already digital ready, and the addition of the converter box may be causing the problem? Loose connections and old lead in wire could also be the cause-digital is supposed to be more sensitive to this-but then you should have noticed poor pic quality before using the box. The use of a digital compatible antenna is being pushed by the antenna makers. The tech articles I've read say if the antenna is in good condition, there should be no problem. I highly doubt the hashing is caused by storms in the area-you must be having a lot of storms. And the most simple, maybe the box is bad.

The Digital TV Transition: FAQs - Consumer Corner
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 04:40 PM
    This is a Great site, I have a Signal Level Meter, they tell the strength, and azimuth(degrees) to the station.
    I see they have added info you are looking for:
    AntennaWeb
    Also has a video.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 23, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Strat-good site, brings back memories of my old ham radio/antenna days-unfortunately I now have VERY expensive cable... : (
    tmentec15 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Chances are that your signal strength for the channel was weak or there can be a fault in your wiring check the ends of your wire and I would recommend changing your antenna to a HDTV antenna.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converter for wmp [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for the answer changing format, from wma-mp3 I have 11 version for wmp but where is the tools to change the formats I put cd in drive to burn but there were no tools to change formats Any-other help please. AWT THANKS

HD Converter [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good software to convert SD (Standard definition) video formats to HD (High definition) video formats? What are the new HD video formats?

Dtv converter [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TV in my suburban . Will a dtv converter need external power . If so what ?

Mp3 to wav & Wav to mp3 converter [ 2 Answers ]

Can any body tells me where I can find the free full version of Mp3 to wav and wav to mp3 converter. Thanks..

View more questions Search