Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Jul 19, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Refrigerator freezer enclosure is hot
    I have a Kenmore top freezer refrigerator at my lake house. The refrigerator was bought in 2001 & has worked flawlessly.

Today I noticed that on the front left and right external sides of the enclosure are quite hot from top to bottom. The heat only extends about 2" back from the opening. The heat is continuous. The freezer is still working as ice is being made, however, ice cream is not as "frozen" as usual, and the refrigerator is running longer.

I'm guessing that the internal heaters are possibly part of the automatic defrost system and that they are staying continuously On.

Anyone have an answer(s) for this malfunction, and is there a DIY fix. I can always call Sears service.

Thanks, Tom
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Aug 16, 2008, 08:00 PM
    I forgot to post the fix for this problem.

I called Sears appliance service. When the tech arrived, I explained the problem. He immediately knew what the cause was. The condenser (compressor) cooling fan was inop. The fan is located at the bottom rear of the refrigerator. The tech explained that the OEM fan was a DC fan and that the replacement fan would be AC. Took him about 20 minutes to repair, but it was expensive.The fan cost was $51 and labor was $194 + tax. He explained that the reason the case was hot was because the high pressure freon line runs in this location to keep condensation from forming on the case. Since the freon was not being cooled adequately, it was excessively hot.

I suspect that the DC fan was "cheap" and had a short life. The fan shaft still turned freely, so I suspect the brushes failed due to wear, or the AC to DC electronics failed.

The good news is that I have an identical model refrigerator at my residence. So if this one fails, I can fix it myself.

I posted this fix hoping that the solution would help someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigerator and freezer [ 3 Answers ]

I wonder what the difference is between a refrigerator and a freezer is. Does A freezer defrost like a refrigerator every 20 minutes or so. Why do ice cubes stick together in a refrigerator tray. Maybe because they defrost So much? It seems the deep freezer maintains it temperance ...

Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator: fridge not cold, freezer is frosty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a slightly over a year old Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator (model #: ABR1922FES). Yesterday, I noticed that the fridge wasn't as cold as it should be, so I turned the temp control cooler, and then, as per the owner's manual, waited 24 hours for it to kick in. It didn't....

Refrigerator/freezer isn't as cold [ 2 Answers ]

My refrigerator will not get that cold.The freezer side won't freeze as fast as normal.Some water leaks from under it a little.I want to know what to do about it.It is an Amana.

Best top freezer refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I hope someone can help me. I am looking for a new refrigerator since the Kenmore one that I have is accumulating ice in the freezer compartment after only being 4 days old. This is the 2nd unit of this brand and model that I have had in the past month. I returned the 1st one because the...

Refrigerator/Freezer NOISE.. [ 0 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: :confused: OK - just got back from a week of vacation. My fridge/freezer (Amana ARS2364AW - 6 years old) is making a weird noise. Seems to be coming from under the ice maker on the freezer side. I noticed some ice cicles (sp) on the racks underneath and some water/ice build...

View more questions Search