Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nastymage Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Replace concrete sewer pipe with pvc
    I have a 50 year old home containing 4" cast iron sewer pipes that connect up to concrete pipes about 3 feet past the foundation. The concrete sewer pipes then run about 50 feet to the city sewer system. Where the CI pipe connects to the concrete pipe, there is a concrete wye. I have recently had some problems with backups in my basement which have been determined to be caused by tree roots right in the area of this concrete wye. I have removed the trees and need to remove and replace the concrete wye to effectively remove all the tree roots from that section. Is is possible to replace the concrete wye with a PVC wye? I don't think I will have a problem connecting the PVC wye to the cast iron (house) side, but I'm not sure if it is possible to connect the other end of the PVC wye to the remaining concrete pipe that runs to the city sewer. How do you connect 4" PVC pipe to 4" concrete pipe?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
    I can think of a couple ways to do this Nastymage...

Best choice will probably be to purchase a FERNCO coupling from a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE.

The reducing FERNCO coupling (see picture) will allow for the transition from the concrete to the pvc pipe.

You will need to measure the DIAMETER of the concrete pipe and then order that size by 4" cast iron fernco coupling.

These clamps are designed almost exclusively for underground connections and should do a great job for this project!

Let us know if you have any more questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 06:55 PM
    The "Y" is your clean out. Install PVC clean out and terminate it with plug at the ground level. Proceed as suggested by Mark.
    nastymage Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Here is a picture of my sewer line as it leaves the house. The pipe at the top, exiting the house under the foundation is cast iron. The wye in the center and the pipe heading away from it to the lower left are both concrete.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf MVC-353X_.pdf (177.5 KB, 1204 views)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Hi Nastymage:

Pic. Is good and clear... thanks.

Plan on cutting the concrete pipe with an angle grinder with a diamond circular blade... see pic. Below. Wear goggles and a dust mask can't hurt! Plan on digging that hole UNDER the concrete pipe a little deeper here!

Cut the cast iron pipe by renting a cast iron chain cutter.. see pic. Below... (wraps around pipe, connects, tighten, and then use lever to apply pressure and *SNAP* pipe near to the concrete fitting. If pipe crushes then you may need to get a sawzall and some LENNOX DIAMOND sawzall blades and make a cut through the cast iron.

Then purchase the reducing fernco and an additional cast iron clamp and you should be all set. The cleanout is also a good idea.

Let us know if you need more info... ;)

MARK
    Attached Images

jz1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 07:59 AM
    How much of an angle does the line have to have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Locating Sewer Pipe Under Basement Concrete Floor [ 5 Answers ]

I am asking this question again - didn't get a answer last weekend. I am considering adding a Basement half bath. I realize this is no minor undertaking. I have the venting designed, and luckily have a wall chase nearby to accommodate that. My question is about locating the existing sewer pipe...

Locating Sewer Pipe Under Basement Concrete Floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering adding a Basement half bath. I realize this is no minor undertaking. I have the venting designed, and luckily have a wall chase nearby to accommodate that. My question is about locating the existing sewer pipe under the basement floor so that I can tie into that. I know where...

Depth of pvc sewer pipe under concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have to reconnect an ground floor existing toilet to a new SVP pipe, which means that I have to cut a trench in the original concrete floor in a 1935 house. How deep will I need to put the pipe below the concrete? Will I need to re-enforce the concrete when I fill the trench back in? I am sorry I...

Must remove concrete floor section to replace rotted rod iron drain pipe in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove concrete flooring section in a bathroom? We found a broken rotten rod iron drain pipe when tearing out walls for remodeling and unfortunately (blessing) found out the pipe was rotted. Plumber says to replace with PVC but we have to dig up/cut up the floor ourselves....

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

View more questions Search