Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sre241 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Wireless won't work
    Hi,

I'm visiting some relatives, and they have wireless in their home. For some reason, my computer, which has recognized wireless signals before, will not pick up their signal.:confused: My compute's wireless antenna (or whatever it's called):rolleyes: is built in, and it's a Dell computer running Vista.

Any help would be appreciated.:D
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 16, 2008, 08:44 AM
    sre241 -

Try these steps using Vista:

The Network and Sharing Center in Microsoft Windows Vista* can be used to view available wireless networks.

To access the Network and Sharing Center, use one of the following methods:

Start » Control Panel » Network and Internet » Network and Sharing Center
    Start » Network » Network and Sharing Center
    Right-click the network system tray icon (the icon that displays two computer monitors) » Network and Sharing Center
    From the Network and Sharing Center:
    1. Select Connect to a network to view the list of available wireless networks.
    2. Click a network to highlight it and click Connect
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Can you see their network at all? Or can you just not connect to it? Do they have any restrictions in place?

Jul 16, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Hi, Scott

I followed the method suggeste by jakester already. My computer does not "see" their network, and it is an open, all-access network. Is it possible that I need another kind of antenna to connect to their router? It is a Belkin something-or-other. I can probably find the specs if that would help.

Thanks,
    Sre

P.S. it is a laptop :)
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 16, 2008, 10:39 AM
    If you have a firewall turned on, then turn it off temporarily to allow the new network to be visible.

Jul 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
    If they have no restrictions then you should see the network on the list of available ones.

Jul 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
    I tiried turning of the firewall just now. It still didn't work!

Any other ideas?

Jul 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Scott-

How do find out if they have restrictions? It still won't show up.

Sre

Jul 16, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Who set up their router? That person should know. Also, checking the router's config page.

Jul 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
    OK, thanks
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 16, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Who set up their router? that person should know. Also, checking the router's config page.
    Absolutely. They may have it set to not advertise the SSID in the Wireless Security section.

Jul 16, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Thanks guys, it finally worked.

This website is a lifesaver!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Wireless Network and Main Work Station [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have just installed a wireless network between my two home computers both have Vista. Main computer has a D-Link Router connection - DSL motorola box is configured bridged mode. My other computer has a USB wireless access point. So now I am able to access the internet from the computer...

Leviton wireless 3-way switch won't work [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Leviton wireless light switch control installed to control one circuit (ceiling lights) in a 3-way configuration. There is a hard wired switch (receiver?) at one switch control, the second light switch is disabled. The "remote" unit is powered by battery and attaches to any surface with...

PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works. My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? ...

View more questions Search