Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jul 14, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Cooking disaster stories
    Anyone want to share any cooking disaster stories? My friends are still talking about a pizza I made in 1985 with shredded carrots instead of cheese (I thought it would be good) or the time I cooked a chicken forgetting to take out the bag full of giblets first.:rolleyes:
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Or the time I baked a ham and did not take off the wrapper... Or when I made cornbread stuffing and did not pre cook the celery... it was like dried celery flakes in it.

Lol Or mother in laws hot red pepper as instead of paprika on potato salad:eek:
    Wow I could make a huge list of all of my cooking mistakes... thanks for the memories and laughs.:p
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jul 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
    I once made a cake when I was like 10 and used salt instead of sugar, it was yucky
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 11:07 AM
    My altimeters kicks in and I forget I ever even went in the kitchen until I see the smoke and have to open windows.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Hmmm... come to think of it she made the same mistake with the broccoli at Christmas dinner last year... hmm maybe she is trying to tell us something... We may need to have a talk with her.:p
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 14, 2008, 11:41 AM
    It's funny you posted this... Just last week I decided to make some cookies. Not being a patient person, I didn't want to drive 20 minutes to the store to get some that were premade, so I made them from scratch with what I had. I looked online for recipies and pieced them together using what I had (which did NOT include milk, eggs, flour, sugar, etc). I wound up using peanut butter, jelly, oatmeal, corn flour, butter, and sprinkles, and baked it at 350 for 11 minutes. They SUCKED. I don't suggest it. But it was a good story for my husband to tell his coworkers the next day. :-D
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
    ... at least your smokedetector didn't go off LOL :D
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 14, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Haha N0, you made smile. :)
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jul 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
    I also once made potato salad using mashed potatoes. What's the difference, right? It was really awful.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 12:15 PM
    When I was less than a teenager, I boiled water out of a Revere pot and then proceeded to burn the pot. That was a lot of scrubbing before mom got home. Pot is still around, like 40 years later.

Then there are "disasters" that turn out to be good. I bake a 7-up cake and instead of flour and shortning to grease the pan I used Covectioner's sugar and shortning. Turned out great, Cake came right out of the tube/Bundt pan very easily. I now use a mix of convectioner's sugar, flour and shortning.
    cromptondot Posts: 94, Reputation: 11

Jul 20, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Once when I was about 10,my grandma let me make a cake mix she had. I mixed it up,put it in the oven and wondered why smoke started billowing from the oven. I was baking the frosting!!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 04:02 PM
    On thanksgiving a couple of years ago, the entire bottom of our oven stopped working. It was a total nightmare. Unfortunately, I had a 16 pound, fully stuffed turkey roasting in it. To save it, I had to fiddle with everything, including turning the turkey by hand for five more hours. Surprisingly, it came out beautifully!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 04:49 PM
    I do have a couple of other stories that just came to mind. They're both about ex-boyfriends.

With one, he found some incredible frozen gnocchi from ny's little italy in the freezer. I went to take a shower, and he thought it would be a good idea to make dinner. He filled a pot with water, poured in the gnocchi, and then turned on the burner. I came into the kitchen and found him stirring away at the pot, eying it suspiciously. I peered in and saw what he had created: a paste of mush. No salt. No sauce. Just water. It was absolutely horrible.

With another, it wasn't exactly a cooking disaster, but it's food related. Well, we went out to dinner. He remembered loving artichoke hearts, so we decided to split a stuffed artichoke as an appetizer. When it arrived, he cut it in half and divided it into two plates. I proceeded to dissect mine with a knife and fork, slightly distracted, and we were chatting away. Every now and then he would make this throaty noise. Then he said, "it's good, but it's rough going down." I looked over at his plate and saw that there was nothing left. He had eaten all of it - the leaves and everything.

At least they were cute. ;)
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Okay, lovingly made a heart shaped cake for my daughter's 8th birthday party that included something like 12 eggs... a light and fluffy angel cake.

I put the cake on a lacquered tray and poured white chocolate over it, as well as the rest of the tray. I then decorated the cake and tray with a fairy and coloured candy flowers. I have to say, it was a masterpiece, and I was very proud of my achievement. When it came to cutting the cake at her party, the damn knife wouldn't cut through the chocolate, so I had to make a stab at it lol. After proceeding in this fashion until the entire cake was cut into pieces and put on plates, I finally got to try a some. For whatever reason that I will never know why, the cake came out like crusty stale bread! What a disaster that was.
    cromptondot Posts: 94, Reputation: 11

Jul 21, 2008, 11:37 AM
    And just think,we are all still alive,and have the nerve to tell about our disasters!!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 26, 2008, 01:25 AM
    I decided I would make a Black Forest Cake, for my step son's 16th Birthday. We went "glow bowling" with all of his high school friends. My cake glowed in the dark, and it was runny and pasty. All of my kids friends sat there and forced it down, and then I heard them whispering that it was the most awful thing they had ever tasted. I got the last piece, and I knew what they meant! It was horrible! But, at the end of the night, my Stepson told me that I was a better cook than his Mom, and that he might acquire a taste for Black Forest Soup! LOL!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 14, 2008, 03:01 PM
    OMG! I forgot I even told this story on this thread. My stepson just called me yesterday, and asked me if I would send him one of my black forest cakes to England, because he had some friends he wanted to get rid of.. hahaha! Too funny! Thanks for the greenie Wild and Blue!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking without an oven [ 2 Answers ]

I am staying in a hotel long term and have 2 stove top burners but no oven. How do I cook a 2.14lb pork loin fillet without the oven?

Cooking for one? [ 8 Answers ]

Just a quick question: My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is...

Stories from India Stories from Mexico Stories from Japan [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for children's series books with the following titles: (they are a series by the same author/publisher) Stories from India Stories from Mexico Stories from Japan Other countries also not just these three

Cooking & Finances. [ 2 Answers ]

On the weekdays, my wife works late (comes home around 7-7:30pm) so I make dinner (and I happen to enjoy cooking). On the weekends we eat out. However, with this schedule my wife doesn't cook. Is it wrong for me to expect my wife to cook for us once in a while at least? The reason I'm asking...

Low fat cooking [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a low fat / calorie cookbook because #1 I'd like to lose 10 lbs & #2 I want my family to eat healthy and I'm out of new food ideas. The book contains recipes with each meal containing between 15 and 20 grams of fat and between 1500 and 2000 calories. Is this really considered low...

View more questions Search