Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oliverma08 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Refiance w/o husband
    Can I refinance my home without my husband? The house is deeded to him only but we both are on the mortgage loan with me listed as primary.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. You may be able to refinance with the same lender without your husband, but you would have no collateral to offer a new lender.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
    It is doubtful, since your name is not on the home, you can not place a mortgage on a home you don't own. He could refi without you, since your name is not on the mortgage ( and why is it not)
    oliverma08 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It is doubtful, since your name is not on the home, you can not place a mortage on a home you don't own. He could refi without you, since your name is not on the mortage ( and why is it not)

I am on the mortgage as primary and he is a co-signer since he didn't have the work history and credit history as I do. The house was deeded over to him by his parents and they did not want to put my name on the deed in fear of losing it. But it was I who worked to pay for it. I was told by a lawyer that since he put a mortgage on it then he forfeited any rights as sole owner of the property. Since he acquired the property after we were married and have been for 23 years I am thinking that I am half owner of the property whether my name is on the title or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
    You may want a second opinon on that legal advice as to the mortgage giving you "ownership" the mortgage holds you liable for the mortgage, but the inheritance laws of your state and/or the will will decide who gets your husbands share of the home since he has never added you to the deed.

A mortgage must have the property assigned to back the loan. So if you don't own the property, you can not promice that property to the bank for the loan. I mean if the bank is silly enough to do this, it could seriously hurt them if they tried latter to foreclose,
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverma08
    [F]
    ... I was told by a lawyer that since he put a mortgage on it then he forfeited any rights as sole owner of the property. Since he aquired the property after we were married and have been for 23 years....
    You can't acquire title until the happening of some event, such as, your husband conveying the property to himself and you as joint owners. As I said, you may be able to refinance with your current lender because the property is already pledged as collateral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a husband really do this? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister & her husband of 13 years were refinancing their home to take cash out to pay bills. At settlement, unbeknownst to her, my sister signed a quitclaim deed for $1 over to her husband, and of course all the settlement papers for the loan. When the check was dispensed only in her husband's...

My husband [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my oldest daughter who is 9 years old. My daughters father knows where she is living, talks to her once a week, has paid $500.00 in child support but otherwise has made no attempt to see her in 9 years. Is it better to wait until she's around 16 years old for my husband to...

Can you refiance with a credit score in the 300 [ 2 Answers ]

Not sure if I can refiance with a credit score in the 300's.. if I can where should I go Thanks

Why doesn't my husband want sex [ 1 Answers ]

I really need help. My husband and I have been married for two years and we have been together for five. We have little to no sex life and it is driving me to desperation. We might have sex once every six months, if I am lucky. He has no interest and no explanation as to why or what is wrong. ...

Is my husband gay? [ 25 Answers ]

My husband prefers me to masturbate him (Jack him off), instead of vaginal penetration; is he gay?

View more questions Search