Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdennard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Cold water coming out outside overflow pipe
    I noticed a fairly steady drip of cool or cold water coming out of my outside overflow drain in the eve of my house. Also, there is quite a bit of water collected on the ground. It has been quite hot outside and my A/C has been running quite a bit so I am not sure I really have anything to worry about.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Is your a/c in the attic? Is this overflow pipe the condensation drain for your A/C. If so you don't have anything to be concerned about. When warm, moist air is cooled condensation occurs. The pipe carries water to the outside.
    pdennard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Yes, my A/C is in the attic. Yes, I believe this is the drain for my A/C since the water is cold and not warm.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Jul 12, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Hello, if this is the overflow drain that's dripping water then have a look and check to see if the condensate drain isn't plugged, some a/c units have a secondary line off a drip pan that is placed under the unit in case the drain gets plugged and the unit starts to leak water, just to be on the safe side I'd take a quick look and make sure that there isn't a problem with the unit.thanks----Zeke
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Call your A/C service man.

Each A/C coil has 2 drain lines: First one is connected and drains to your sink somewhere in your house. Second one should be terminated somewhere on the outside where you can notice if it leaks.

You never see the first one to run, since it goes directly to the drain. But the other drain is a "warning" drain, telling you that Drip Pan under you coil is filled with water and that water is just about to overflow onto your ceiling.

I would post this question to A/C forum...
    ctrannql Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 04:02 PM
    My overflow pipe continue dripping cool water. Even I turn off the AC for few days
    I don't think it relates to my water heater since it locate other side of the house.
    Any Idea what the overflow pipe come frrom?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 4, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrannql View Post
    My overflow pipe continue dripping cool water. even I turn off the AC for few days
    I don't think it relates to my water heater since it locate other side of the house.
    Any Idea what the overflow pipe come frrom?
    Hi ctrannql and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 4 year old dead thread Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,
    Sounds like you have a little gunk built up in the line that's causing the AC condensate to back up and dribble out. Blow the line clear with compressed air and then run bleach through it. Good luck, Tom
    ctrannql Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 06:30 AM
    As I said I turned off the AC for few days. If it come from AC it should stop dripping, right? If I turn on the AC I notice the water drip from AC overflow pipe ( other pipe) as normal. There are 4 pipes come from 2 AC units and 1 comes from water heater. The 6th one drips water. I don't know where it come from.
    Eternal Plumber

May 5, 2012, 06:58 AM
    [QUOTE][As I said I turned off the AC for few days. If it come from AC it should stop dripping, right?/QUOTE] Not if there's condensate backed up in the pipe. I said,
    Sounds like you have a little gunk built up in the line that's causing the AC condensate to back up and dribble out.
    What you're going to have to do is identify each pipe so you know its function.if you want to know what's dripping from where. Good luck, Tom
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2012, 09:31 AM
    The overflow you are talking about is your secondary line which terminates above a window to indicate there is something wrong with unit. Your primary line on the unit is drained much lower to the ground than secondary on eve or into a sanitary drainage
    Eternal Plumber

May 7, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Each A/C coil has 2 drain lines: First one is connected and drains to your sink somewhere in your house. Second one should be terminated somewhere on the outside where you can notice if it leaks.
    Not in my area. There's a pan under the coils that collects the AC condensate and a 3/4" PVC drain that terminates outside. Running a second line to a sink would be both expensive and redundant. If this is written into code what's the reason. Comon Milo, educate me. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

Water is coming out of the overflow pipe [ 2 Answers ]

The overflow pipe which, I presume, comes out of a tank in the attic is letting water out intermitently. The pipe comes out from above my bedroom window, below the roof. What could be the cause of the problem ? Thanks in anticipation.

Leaking overflow pipe in water tank [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stop my overflow pipe in the cold water tank from leakin?

Cold Water Overflow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I need to connect a 15mm cold water overflow pipe to a 40mm 'Tee' waste system. Any idea on how I go about doing this? Thanks.

View more questions Search