Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Qualynore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Terminating Father's Parental Rights
    I am the mother of an 8-year-old living in Florida. My son's biological father has made no attempts to contact me or my son for the past 6 years. The father's name is on the birth certificate, and there is no order for child support. I am currently engaged to be married and my fiancé wants to adopt my son. For now I live with my parents, who care for my son while I work. I am also concerned as to what would happen to my son if something should happen to me that would prevent me from caring for him.

I have read almost every where on the web that in the Court's eyes, my son should go with his father. I am trying to find a way to terminate his parental rights. I also read a few of the other posts in here, but I am still confused. I need to know a few things first though. Is not seeing the father for 6 years considered abandonment? Is there a way ton INVOLUNTARILY terminate his rights? How else could I ensure that my son goes with his grandparents should anything happen to me?

The law is a mighty and confusing thing... :confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 05:54 PM
    IN your case I THINK you could appoint your parents guardians if anything were to happen to you but I don't know that that would prevent him getting them IF he wanted them. BUT it should be some security for them if he doesn't try to get them.
    JuJuFruit Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jul 12, 2008, 06:45 AM
    You can't will children, as they are not property. You can have your wishes be known. In our case, if both my hubby and I were to die, we want my brother to take our kids. But anyone who has a blood relation can contest it. And it could turn into a custody battle.

After you have gotten married, about a year after, you and hubby need to petition the court for the adoption. You will have to notify Dad. If you don't know where he is, you may have to run an ad in the local papers of his last known whereabouts.

And yes, 6 years no contact would in most cases be considered abandonment. However, courts are not likely to terminate his parental rights, unless they can assign them to someone else. The Courts like to make sure that a child has 2 parents to provide for them.

This is also something that you would need an attorney for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating father's parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm looking for info on terminating parental rights. My husband of 8 years would like to adopt my 10 yo son. His bio father has not seen or been in contact with him since he was 6 months. He has never paid support. I was going to work with a lawyer because my...

Terminating Parental Rights in MD [ 2 Answers ]

I am a frustrated Mom in Maryland who wants to have the parental rights of my son's father terminated so that I can have his name changed and leave the door open for my son to be adopted by my future husband. My son's father is an un-licensed "contractor" who works under the table and does not file...

Terminating Parental Rights. [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to terminate parental rights for the father of my daughter. He has not seen her in two years and has been incarcerated for the last year and a half. I am wanting to get this done pretty quick. Is there any forms online or anything that I can do on my own to get a court date without...

Terminating the father's rights [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and the father has walked out on us and wants nothing to do with this pregnancy and is not willing to help in any way. I am having a complicated pregnancy and am unable to work probably for the duration of this pregnancy. He seems to think that once the baby comes...

Terminating Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin and I have a 5 month old son, and am no longer involved with the Father. He has said on and off since the time I was pregnant, that he wanted to sign off his rights. Then he would say he wanted to be involved, get mad, say he wants to sign off etc. He was seeing our son every...

View more questions Search