Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swilson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Refinancing with a chapter 13
    I am looking to refinance while still in my chapter 13. Can I secure all documents/applications without paying my attorney?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Yes. Bankruptcy is public information, so the courthouse will have it all in the file for the case. Call first, though, to be sure you go with enough money in case their copiers are coin operated.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 4, 2006, 11:15 AM
    It seems like you should be able to get copies of the paperwork from the Bankruptcy Trustee, since they have your open file. FNMA Conforming Conventional rules indicate a two year waiting period since the discharge of the Bankruptcy. FHA rules state that "A Chapter 13 bankruptcy does not disqualify a borrower from obtaining an FHA-insured mortgage, provided the lender documents that one year of the payout period under the bankruptcy has elapsed and the borrower's payment performance has been satisfactory (i.e., all required payments made on time). In addition, the borrower must receive permission from the court to enter into the mortgage transaction." Sub-Prime loans can have whatever rules they want, but be prepared to pay a premium. Good luck.
    clover23 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 03:37 PM
    I won't assume you're applying for an FHA loan, but you can refinance into a 2- or 3-yr ARM (adjustable rate mortgage, fixed for 2 or 3 years) and pay off your Ch. 13 bankruptcy as part of your refinancing. You MUST have paid the "BK" on time - most people chose payroll deduction and it works beautifully! Your trustee will provide a payment history - since you elected to manage your debts (vs. a Ch. 7 discharge), you will be evaluated on how well you can prove you've "learned your lesson."

The time since you've filed a CHAPTER 13 will determine how long your "seasoning period" is (Ch. 7 needs the time since the BK was discharged). Depending on your credit score, Ch. 13 payment history, mortgage payment history (the FULL mortgage payment - not the arrears, if applicable), your mortgage balance, your property's appraised value, as well as your verifiable income will be evaluated as part of a thorough qualification process. This is standard operating procedure.

[Footnote: if all loan professionals had maintained these guidelines, many lenders will not be in the trouble they are now!]
    luannebrown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
    I would like to refinance and buy out chap 13 launne brown (303) 883-9185
    txhutch07 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
    In order to refinance your home your will need to ask the trustee's permission. In order to do so a motion will need to filed with the court. Part of this will need to determine if you are taking out equity of the home the trustee would be interested it in to take care of you debt.

*Creditor Bankruptcy 10 years*
    Feebasis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Can I Refiance 5 Single Houses While I Am In Ch13 Also What Happens At The End Of Ch 13 And I Do Not Refninance Because As Of Know My Rate Was Adjusted While I Am In Ch 13

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinancing mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

Hello OK I would like to refi my mortgage , I have 8% now for 30 yrs. Owe 37,000 and 10,000 on a second.  my credit score is 635  and 4yrs out of bankruptcy, I have 2,000 in credit cared debt and owe 5,700 for my car. Which is 99.00 a mo ,  my mort  is 448 a mo that is piti.. The second is...

Bankruptcy & refinancing [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy 2 years ago and now we are trying to refinance our home. We have a 1st and a 2nd lien (mortgage) on our home. There is no problem with the 1st as we reaffirmed it in our ch7, however our attorney did not get the paper in on time to reaffirm the 2nd so...

Refinancing my home [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently refinanced my home (3 weeks ago). I refinanced from 6.875 to 5.625%. We do not close until the 29th, 4 more days. Since I received the rate of 5.625, I've noticed the rates have dropped another 1/2%, and now down to 4.875 to 5.25 with not points (in my area). I would like...

Refinancing home [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I was late on my mortgage payment and I explained to the guy that I was trying to refinance and would be paying him out of that money. But he sold my home out from under me, to some one that works at his company.CAN THAT HAPPEN??

View more questions Search