Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IntroducingEmy Posts: 87, Reputation: 12

Jul 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
    WAF Uniforms Circa 1950's
    I'm trying to find pictures of US Woman's Air Force uniforms from 1945 to about 1950 without much luck. I was also wondering what color the uniforms would have been and what sorts of insignias would have been worn. Thanks again!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Don't know if this is what you are looking for

Women's Custom Made Uniforms
    JoeUSAF Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 05:51 AM
    I noticed ths was asked a few months ago and I'm not sure if you received a sufficient answer. The Air Force did not become an independent service from the Army until 1947, so up to that point, they were wearing Army WAC uniforms.
    In 1949, after a couple years of planning and negotiating, the new Air Force blue uniforms were finally approved and fielded around 1950. Between Sep 1947 and 1950, the women were still wearing Army uniforms, with the only change being the new air force silver on blue stripes, which entered the inventory in 1948. In 1950, the women were issued blue dress uniforms and a blue corded seersucker uniform for summer wear. There was also a khaki summer uniform that was optional which was a carry over from the air corps days.
    If you want some pictures, let me know.
    Joe
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Dec 22, 2008, 10:48 PM

If you do a Google image search for "Women's Air Force Service Pilots" or WASPs as they were called during World War II it comes up with a lot of pictures including some images of insignias, etc.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Make sure you put it in quotation marks
    rehtse1931 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 07:21 PM
    Here are some resources: Women In Military Service For America Memorial
    Women in the Korean War

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ID etching from circa 1940's [ 4 Answers ]

I have inherited an etching of Canal in Autumn (France) signed by Henri Fourday in the right lower corner. At the left is a circle with SZ L in it and a 2 to the left. Can you tell me what this means? And if the etching is worth anything?

Unknown Male Artist - circa 1980-90's? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't remember the name of the artist or song that I'm looking for. I do remember a black and white music video with a haunting melody, and that the artist sang in a high, falsetto at times during the song. The video was shot partially on a sandy beach? The artist had short black hair and the...

View more questions Search