Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djwiggers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Convicted felon, looking for grant info to better myself with a good education
    I am a convicted felon of a 7 yr old drug charge. I am still having trouble to this day trying to go back to school to get my computer degrees so that I can better myself in today's society. Does anyone have any good ideas that might help me to solve this issue?:confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 03:09 AM
    The first thing that I would do, is stop thinking of yourself as a convicted felon. True, you have been convicted of a felony and have presumably already paid your dues to society concerning that. It's going to be on your record, but doesn't necessarily have to hold you back from doing the things that most people are free to do.

How about thinking of yourself as a former felon? It would be okay to do that, especially if you are now free to go on with your life and go about your business.

What specifically is it that is holding you back from receiving an education, please? It would be helpful to know that.

You can turn your "scars into stars." But, a good part of doing that, is a matter of the choices that you make.

Hopefully, others will also be along to address your question.

Thanks!
    Criado Posts: 142, Reputation: 15

Jul 10, 2008, 04:26 AM
    I agree with Clough. There is no use to look back to the past. What is important now is to build a new life.

Regarding the computer degree you wish to get, why don't you enroll in Online Distant Education Programs such Penn Foster?
    armymomof2 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 04:49 AM
    First of all good for you for going back to school! I don't know of any grants, but there is a website, Hard2Hire.org that is orientated to people with records. If you can't get a grant you may have to just work your way though it. A family member had to use it and found employment. I know that this has to be so frustrating for you, but always keep in mind that you are absolutely doing the right thing. Their will and has been great obstacles in your way, but you sound intelligent and determined. Keep on pursing your education, and you will be successful.
    free grants Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by djwiggers
    I am a convicted felon of a 7 yr old drug charge. I am still having trouble to this day trying to go back to school to get my computer degrees so that i can better myself in todays society. Does anyone have any good ideas that might help me to solve this issue?:confused:
    There is no grant for convicted felon but there is program that will help established a small business or go to school. Prison Entrepreneurship Program is a non-profit organization that described as "a Houston-based nonprofit organization that leverages the skills of senior business executives to constructively redirect these talents and equip inmates and former inmates with entrepreneurial training—enabling them to productively re-enter society. Or you may check this link at the fafsa website if you are qualify.
    rjsnyder114 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 12:20 AM
    It is obvious that you use the convicted felon title as a crutch. I am not trying to be hateful I really believe that you have to stop to better your situation. You also have to stop making excuses. Most people today have an excuse why they are not successful. Truth is there is no excuse and people who need grants don't get them, quit looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Start towards something positive. There is no excuse when you are alone in front of the mirror. You either take the objective or you don't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a convicted felon get a grant or loan? [ 13 Answers ]

I was wondering if there any loans or grants that convicted felons can get to start a business?

Grant for a convicted felon [ 3 Answers ]

I was looking for a grant of some sort so that I can attend Arizona State University's school of Architecture. Please get back to me with an answer. [email protected] Thanks

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Can an ex-felon get a grant [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to attend the northern California college of construction, heavy equipment operator and I am searching for a grant I do not have to repay. I heard of grants for parolees but can't find anything, although I am off parole I would think that ex-felons could still apply. Thank You pamela

Convicted Felon [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. I would like to marry my boyfriend that is not a native or a resident of the united States. Is there a waiting period for me to file for his residency?

View more questions Search