Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worriedmother1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
    My 17 year old daughter has a controlling boyfriend
    My daughter, who is 17 has been dating this "guy" on and off for @ 2 years. He is very controlling, and manipulative. He is a high school drop out, lives at home, blows all his money, lives from moment to moment. In other words, the future is very bleak. I am sorry but love won't pay the power bill and mortgage. He has her so brain washed that he can convince her of anything. He has convinced her that she is better off with him, and secluded her from her friends or anyone that doesn't go along with him. He has a temper and I know that he has turned against her before, but she won't admit it. He controls all of her time and I am sure gets some of her money also. He has no transportation, so she provides the car and does the driving. I believe in giving anyone the benefit of the doubt and trying to help anyone who is trying to help themselves but this is truly a terrible sitiation for her. However, she is "beginning" to see the light a little but can't seem to make that break, I am letting her see this on her own, being there for her, trying to suggest without demanding, I am ready to scream. Any suggesstions?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 11:39 AM
    You're doing the best you can because the more you push she may rebel and be with him out of spite. You are very supporting and are doing the right thing. She is lucky to have a support line like you, she sounds like a smart girl and she will see the "light" soon enough. And when that happens, help keep him away because if he has a temper, he may stalk.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Hi worriedmom..

Well, depending what country you live in and the legal age.. you could have stopped this before it stated two years ago if in the USA. But since it's gone on this long, all you can do is hope that you let her know that she will have your support no matter what, even if she made a mistake she needs not to be ashamed or that you will not judge because you are her mother and love her unconditionally and will be there for her and always will have a place in your heart and home if she needs it.

Otherwise, you can secretely keep an eye on her for signs of physical abuse and if indicated you can try and convince her to report them. If it is emotional abuse, it's harder to tell, but that's where your ensurance of unconditional support comes in. Don't make it obvious that you don't like him or his lifestyle - so put on an act if you have to - it's for her benefit. If she thinks she's happy - be happy for her, let her know that what's important to you is her happiness no matter who she is with because, unfortunately, we cannot pick our children's partners. All we can do is hope that we gave them enough wisdom and strength on the way as they were growing up. They are the ones who have to live with their partners and be happy. Even though it hurts sometimes, we have to learn to let them make their own mistakes.

I wish you all the luck and strength you need, because as a mother, I know what you are going through - it's tough sometimes, and all we can do is be there.

Good luck dear, and keep us posted.

My 'baby' is divorced and going to marry the father of my grandson soon. All I can do is hope that he's the right one this time - at least she's happy and that's what counts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

13 year old daughter kissing boyfriend [ 10 Answers ]

Recently my parents took my 13 year old daughter to the movies with one of her girlfriends. My parents went to a different movie and when there movie was done they checked in on my daughter and caught her making out with a boy. I've already punished her for lying and everything else but now...

Is my boyfriend controlling [ 4 Answers ]

I have been in my current relationship for 10 months and everything is going great. But my boyfriend seems like he is controlling I really think so but I kind of think it's love because I've never had a man care about my whereabouts like that. He tells me it's to know where I am in case something...

Controlling opinionated daughter in law [ 1 Answers ]

Role reversal! I thought I was supposed to get this image! My daughter in law (stepson's wife) hates me & thinks I am a bad parent. I'm still raising a 10 yr old and our 20 yr old just moved out on his own. He probably bad-mouthed me to her in the past and now she thinks I was awful with him....

How do I leave my controlling boyfriend? [ 6 Answers ]

This could be a novel if I told you all the details but I'll keep it short and to the point. Gil and I have been together for 6 years now. We met when I was 17 and a senior in high school, he was 23. About a year into our relationship he was heavily into Cocaine and he was very physically abusive...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

View more questions Search