Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jul 7, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Returning to school
    I really don’t know what to do.

10 years ago I went to college for a year. 2 classes are transferable.

I am returning to this same college. Here was my plan. I work less than a mile away. My work told me that I could continue working, and they would work around school schedule. -- that is the only reason I chose this school. I only wanted to go for one semester also. Then I wanted to transfer. However, since I failed math ten years ago, they want me to take a developmental math course (which 50% of students have to take.)

Now, all of a sudden, my work is saying they won’t work around my schedule.? So now I am stuck going to a totally un-cheap college that wouldn’t have been my first choice anyway. So that would mean getting a part time job. I am also stuck taking a developmental math course that isn’t transferable. And it seems illogical to only go to this school for one semester if I have to take this class that only benefits me if I am staying there longer then a semester.

Should I stick it out and go for the semester and take this needless class? Or should I hurry and enroll in another school? Though I’m not sure if time is on my side with this.

I really don't know what to do. I suck at decisions, but I finally made one... and now it seems all screwed up!!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Would it be possible to take the math class at night at your first choice of colleges? Is your schedule one that would change week to week or is it pretty much set? How difficult would it be to change to a different job that would allow you more flexibility throughout your time at school?
    I know it seems like a needless class, but if you don't have the prerequisites to take a college level one there isn't much alternative. One of those situations of just getting it done and out of the way. You may see if it is one you can test out of. If that is possible, maybe see about tutoring prior to help you prepare if need be. Another alternative might be to see if it is one offered online, if not from your first choice of colleges, perhaps through a different school but would still be accepted for credit.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jul 8, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC
    Would it be possible to take the math class at night at your first choice of colleges?
    They don't have this math class at my first choice of colleges. They only have it the college I'm enrolled in, and that isn't my first choice school. It is something mandatory at this school that isn't transferable anywhere else.

Is your schedule one that would change week to week or is it pretty much set? How difficult would it be to change to a different job that would allow you more flexibility throughout your time at school?
    The classes are basically from 11-4 everyday. I applied at several part time jobs, and they haven't called me back yet.

I know it seems like a needless class, but if you don't have the prerequisites to take a college level one there isn't much alternative. One of those situations of just getting it done and out of the way. You may see if it is one you can test out of. If that is possible, maybe see about tutoring prior to help you prepare if need be. Another alternative might be to see if it is one offered online, if not from your first choice of colleges, perhaps through a different school but would still be accepted for credit.
    I have to take it like a regular class, and I can't test out. Freshmen can't do online classes.

So basically, I guess I'm just wondering if it is logical just to apply late at another school where I don't have to take this class.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 08:25 AM
    If it is just the one class holding things up, and you wouldn't have to take it at the school you prefer (be sure to double check that you can enroll in a college level math class... would you have to take a placement test at the college you prefer? That may or may not cause you to have to take a lower level math class first anyway), it might be less stressful to apply late or wait a semester if need be. You might be able to then keep the job you have now, or at least it would give you more time to find one that would fit your school needs better. If you haven't already, definitely talk with a counselor at the school you prefer to find out exactly what you need, and how you can go right into college level classes for credit if possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

Returning J1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody! I am an Italian researcher. I have been working in NYC from 2001 to 2003 on a J1 visa. I had tax exemption during my stay according to the 2-year international tax treaty between italy and US. This October (2008) I will be starting a new J1 research appointment in MA. Will I be able...

Returning a car [ 4 Answers ]

Hi,I purchased a used car about two weeks ago, on Tuesday I received a letter from the dealear, asking me to return the car because they couldn't find any bank to finance me, do I have to pay anything when returning the car? And does the dealer has to refund my down payment immediately? Thanks...

The returning ex [ 7 Answers ]

Well, so I had this ex boyfriend who basically crushed my heart, and got a new girlfriend. However, she left him about 2 months ago, and he was depressed over her for some time, but now he seems fine. Recently, we decided to become friends and I let go of my grudge. But also he calls and texts me...

Returning to ex-wife? [ 5 Answers ]

How much control do ex-wives have over ex-husbands? I met a really nice guy; spent most of the last 2 weeks at his house. He has been divorced 14 months. Now the ex-wife has showed up, pitched a big fit (crying, making him feel guilty and threatening to kill herself) and he is staying at her...

View more questions Search