Ask
    karissafridley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Retained earnings
    How do I calculate retained earnings
    sajalarora Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 7, 2008, 04:17 AM
    Hello,
    Computation of retained earnings is easy and simple but first of all you need to understand the basics.
    Meaning: retained means we have kept something aside and right now not making use of such particular earnings.

Thus now, when one arrives at the figure of PBT

i.e. PBT(Profit before taxes)

Less: Taxes paid / provision for taxes made

You get PAT(profit after taxes)
    Less : any preference dividend including equity dividend also including any taxes thereof
    Less: any other appropriation of profits to reserves or whatever name called

Thus balance is the profit called your RETAINED EARNINGS which you reserve for the future growth of the business.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Calculate retained earnings based on what information? Different problems present different types of information, so there isn't any definative answer without knowing what info you've been given.

any preference dividend including equity dividend also including any taxes thereof

? Taxes on dividends paid?
    949 Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Beginning R.E. earingins October 1, 20xx... $XX
    Add: Net income or <Net Loss>... $XX

Less: Dividends... $XX
    Ending R.E. earnings October 31, 20xx... $XX

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retained Earnings = Earnings less dividends [ 5 Answers ]

Could someone confirm that's the correct definition of R.E. I thought R.E. is net not pay out dividend but my professor has in his note as "Retained Earnings = Earnings less dividends"

Earnings per share and retained earnings [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused on how to calculate the earnings per share and the common dividend per share as well as figure out what the increased retained earnings for the year. The problem states that the company had an operating profit of $210,000. Interest expense for the year was $30,000; preferred...

Retained earnings [ 2 Answers ]

A firm has net income of $50,000. Dividends are $15,000 How much does the firm put in retained earnings?

Retained earnings [ 1 Answers ]

simpson enterprise began 2003 with retained earnings of 1,000,000.during 2003 the firm earned 400,000after taxes.from the amount,preffered stockholders were paid 47,000in dividendsand common stockholders were paid200,000.at the year end 2003the firm retained earnings totaled=

View more questions Search