Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Briarose Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Upgrading to Linux and installing ethernet card on Win 98
    I have two old computers that run Windows 98 (an IBM on First Edition and a Compaq on Second Edition). I also have a Dell on XP and an Apple Powerbook, which I have connected to my home network.

I'd like to be able to get one or both of the Win98 computers onto our home network, mostly to be able to surf the web via DSL. Neither have an ethernet card. I've tried using a USB wireless adapter but USB devices don't run consistently on those computers.

So here's what I plan to do - install an ethernet card (from an old Win 2000 Micron computer) into one of the Win 98 computers. I've been told that it is not difficult to install the card but I have not installed any internal hardware before. Do I also need drivers?

Also, I'm thinking of installing Linux, just because the Win 98 software is no longer supported and the machines are slow. Well, slower than what we are used to these days. As I mentioned, I just want to be able to access the internet, and run some basic computer programs (for word processing and spreadsheets mostly).

So I have a couple of questions on that - would I then be able to use usb devices (the computers do have usb ports) consistently? Would the computers run faster/smoother? Should I install the network card first and then install Linux or the other way around?

Here are the specs to the IBM:
    AMD K6-2/350 Processor
    64 MB SyncDRam/256 MB maximum
    8 GB hard drive

Not sure about the Compaq... hard drive is smaller (I think).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    justme8 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Install Linux first. Make sure your network card has drivers that work with Linux
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:09 PM
    For a computer this old, I would:
    1. Reinstall Win98SE and all the patches.
      AXCEL216 / MDGx FREE WinDOwS Software ESSENTIALS
      The reason:
      • that system's optimal OS will be Win98.
      • A clean install removes any bad habits/mistakes from the past x-years and lets you start clean.
    2. Install MAX memory to boost performance. 256mb should cost almost nothing nowadays. I might even have chips I could just send you...I'll look around. (send me the exact make/model # of the PCs you're upgrading)
    3. Installing an ethernet card is child's play...it's almost impossible to mess up
      • Unplug computer power from wall
      • Open case, discharge any static in your body before reaching in
      • Remove a screw holding an expansion slot cover on and discard the cover
      • Install your new ethernet card firmly and use screw to hold in place
      • Reconnect power to system...NIC (ethernet cards are called NICs) card may have a green status light that lights up already...a good sign
      • Close the case
      • Reboot system
      • When system asks for drivers, insert CD that came with NIC. Possibly, you'll have to download Win98 compatible drivers, but hopefully not
      • Assign your PC a local IP address and connect NIC to network
      • Should be good to go
    4. Lastly, I would install at least a small secondary drive. 8gig was big in 1998, but nowadays you can fill that up with temporary internet files alone.
      • Install as secondary slave drive D:
      • After rebooting and formatting the new drive for use, move MY DOCUMENTS onto the new drive so all files you save go to the secondary drive. This should also result in performance boost since your system will now be able to access Windows files (C:\) and data files (D:\) simultaneously.

For the other computer, Linux is probably a good idea, not my area of expertise. However, maxxing memory and adding HD space would probably be a good idea on that system as well... and the NIC card, of course.
    Briarose Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Well, we took a look inside my old Win 2000 computer and apparently, the NIC is integrated with the motherboard (or something like that - the only things that were removable were the sound and video cards).

The guy at work that I asked (because I looked and couldn't find it, thought maybe it was just me, so I asked someone) - said that he might have an extra NIC at home and would bring it to me.

So we'll see...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2008, 05:56 AM
    You can get a PCI NIC for under $20, if you search for ones compatible with Win 98 you might even get it for under $10.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:17 AM
    For older computers I recommend Xubuntu. I am running it now and love it (that's where my avatar comes from). It's like Ubuntu but without the added 3-D visual bits that I don't need anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an ethernet card? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, If I buy a pocket PC with an ethernet card does that mean I will be able to access the internet using my home wireless internet connection? Thank you in advance for the help, Jack

2 modems (?) - 1 Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

I have a DSL modem and a satellite modem(?). They both require ethernet and I only have 1 ethernet card. I would like to be able to hook both modems up to my system so I can just disable one or the other (when 1 ISP or the other is down) and easily switch between them. From my limited reading it...

PDA Ethernet card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a way to connect a PDA to a wired network using an Ethernet cable. I would like to be able to do this without use of any other computer. I do quite a bit of travelling and the hotels I visit don't always have wireless connections but more often have wired networks in the...

Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find on my PC if I have an ethernet card installed on my PC?

View more questions Search