Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lustdarkness Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Dating ages
    Okay so I am 15 turning 16 this September and I am dating a guy who is 18 turning 19 this September as well. My father and mother have given me consent to date him. But there is a catch. He lives in California and I live in British Columbia. Now say if he was to come here and it was okay with my parents is there any law against me dating him?
    And do you know where I can find a website with physical proof that it is legal?

Thank you for reading this... I just am so stressed out about it and I was seeking help:confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Dating is fine there is no law against that '
    Age of consent is a different thing

They just RAISED the age from 14 to 16 this past spring.

Canada's age of consent raised by 2 years
    Last Updated: Thursday, May 1, 2008 | 2:29 PM ET Comments112Recommend102
    CBC News

It is now illegal for adults in Canada to have sex with a partner under the age of 16, one of the new provisions of the Tories' violent crime law that came into effect on Thursday.

The Tackling Violent Crime Act raises the legal age of sexual consent in Canada to 16 from 14, the first time it has been raised since 1892.

But the law includes a "close-in-age exception," meaning 14- and 15-year-olds can have sex with someone who is less than five years older.

The Tories said they raised the age, in part, to deal with internet predators. The new law puts Canada's age of consent in line with those in Britain, Australia and most of the United States.

B.C. onside with age-of-consent proposal

Jul 3, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Dating is fine there is no law against that '
    age of consent is a different thing

They just RAISED the age from 14 to 16 this past spring.

Canada's age of consent raised by 2 years
    Last Updated: Thursday, May 1, 2008 | 2:29 PM ET Comments112Recommend102
    CBC News

It is now illegal for adults in Canada to have sex with a partner under the age of 16, one of the new provisions of the Tories' violent crime law that came into effect on Thursday.

The Tackling Violent Crime Act raises the legal age of sexual consent in Canada to 16 from 14, the first time it has been raised since 1892.

But the law includes a "close-in-age exception," meaning 14- and 15-year-olds can have sex with someone who is less than five years older.

The Tories said they raised the age, in part, to deal with internet predators. The new law puts Canada's age of consent in line with those in Britain, Australia and most of the United States.

B.C. onside with age-of-consent proposal
    Thank you so much... I've been going through a lot of stress because his mother thinks it's wrong and wants to do anything in her power to separate us but we love each other so much and it hurts you know :( And no matter what physical proof I show her she still seems to think it's allegal
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 06:40 PM
    You should listen to your mother.
    Especially you do not even really know this guy and doesn't sound like a long term relationship where you can see him everyday. You could very easily end up feeling used once he leaves and you drift apart.
    Remember you DID say 'if it is okay with my parents'

Jul 3, 2008, 06:53 PM
    You should listen to your mother.
    Especially you do not even really know this guy and doesn't sound like a long term relationship where you can see him everyday. You could very easily end up feeling used once he leaves and you drift apart.
    Remember you DID say 'if it is okay with my parents'
    It's his mom... My mom doesn't care... I love this guy a lot... I know I guess opinions change... But I am willing to take that chance... He just got kicked out of his house... I'm the reason he did... T_T I couldn't do that to him... Cause in love age, size, sex any of those don't matter cause love is love but his mom just doesn't understand:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2008, 07:07 PM
    As noted there is no laws about dating. But if you engage in any sexual activity there is a risk.

Frankly, I think you are both too young to really know if you are in love. I also wonder why a 18 yr old would so interested in a 15 yr old. And I'm really bothered by a mother that wouldn't care that her daughter was at risk.

But as long as you don't get sexually intimate you are legal.

Jul 3, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    As noted there is no laws about dating. But if you engage in any sexual activity there is a risk.

Frankly, I think you are both too young to really know if you are in love. I also wonder why a 18 yr old would so interested in a 15 yr old. And I'm really bothered by a mother that wouldn't care that her daughter was at risk.

But as long as you don't get sexually intimate you are legal.
    Thanks for that but just because I may be a teenager doesn't mean I don't understand the concept of love you look to this day and you wonder do adults even understand love? You see adults getting married and breaking up all the time. Or older relationships getting broken up. Really teenagers are no different than adults to this day. I believe the world is becoming more and more blind to what we REALLY should be seeing.

Love is not how the person looks. It's about really caring about the other individual, loving them for who they are not what they are. Love comes in all different ages, shapes and sizes and sexes. Yet people are so caught up in media that this is being changed. To wanting the cute guy down the road to the sexy girl over there.

It's not about personality these day it's about looks and it saddens me to see this. My parents do care and know I am at risk. But they have spoken with him over the phone seen him on webcam and I have known him for a LONG time. Not everyone on the internet is a pedophile not every teenager is stupid, not every adult knows everything in fact no one is perfect we are all different.:p
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 10:35 PM
    But you have to realize too that love can not be really established as real love when you really don't know the person. Not having even met someone you are more in love with the image they want you to have of them. You are more in love with the idea of being in love.
    It takes time to see the real them before you can say you REALLY love THEM for them.

Jul 3, 2008, 10:46 PM
    But you have to realize too that love can not be really established as real love when you really don't know the person. Not having even met someone you are more in love with the image they want you to have of them. You are more in love with the idea of being in love.
    It takes time to see the real them before you can say you REALLY love THEM for them.
    I suppose your right on this one. -shrugs- I don't really know what to say. But I talk to him everyday on the computer or the phone and I am friends with all his friends we talk on webcam or have 4 way phone calls with his friends it's kind of fun and he seems like the right guy :)
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Could be but don't jump into anything too fast

Don't let emotions cloud your judgments

Jul 3, 2008, 10:50 PM
    could be but don't jump into anything too fast

Don't let emotions cloud your judgments
    Okay I won't =] Maybe wait it off a little while more and see how things go in time. :p
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2008, 05:32 AM
    See the problem here is young people get bombarded with the idea of love in entertainment media that they are often so enamored of the concept they have trouble recognizing the real thing. I'm not saying you don't, I'm just saying that most of the time a 15 yr old doesn't have the experience to tell the difference between love and infatuation.

If I have followed your subsequent postings you haven't actually met this person except through the Internet. This raises even more alarms and means you need to go even more slowly. If this is truly love it will last for a few more years. Let him go to college and/or start a career and then you can bring the relationship to the next level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ages to sleep in the same room [ 1 Answers ]

What is the age limit for children to sleep in the same room?

Dating Ages [ 3 Answers ]

Okay.. so I have a girlfriend and I'm deeply in love with her. I'm 16 and she's 14. We're about 1 year and 10 months apart in age. And my friends keep telling me that when I'm 18 and she's 16 it'll be illegal because its like pedifile (sorry my spelling sucks). So I just want to make sure just...

Legal dating ages in Colorado [ 1 Answers ]

Is it illegal to date someone if I am 18 and they are 15? In the state of Colorado

LAw about ages [ 1 Answers ]

Yeah I want to get my belly button done and I've researcfhed a lot of places and it says that in some states and stuff like that you may need to have an adult with you and you might not be able to because of your age... well does anyone no what the laws are in ontario for all of that?? :p

View more questions Search