Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rescue me Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2008, 12:27 PM
    What is a "motion for continuous" in law
    I would like to know what it means when there is a "motion for continuous"? I called my attorney about an upcoming trial date on old unsecure credit card debt that had almost expired when I was sued by a colleciton agency. I was told I would have to pay for a mediatior and that the court would tell me the date. A motion for summary judgement was issued by my attorney because they could not come up with original records for anything other than something they threw together. Anyway I called my attorney since I had not heard anything and had already arranged to go to court my attorney's office has told me that the motion was filed and a new court date set which I do not know what it is yet... can someone please explain what this means and is a good thing or a bad thing for me in regards to the motion for continuous...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rescue me
    I would like to know what it means when there is a "motion for continuous"? I called my attorney about an upcomming trial date on old unsecure credit card debt that had almost expired when I was sued by a colleciton agency. I was told I would have to pay for a mediatior and that the court would tell me the date. A motion for summary judgement was issued by my attorney because they could not come up with orginal records for anything other than something they threw together. Anyway I called my attorney since I had not heard anything and had already arranged to go to court my attorney's office has told me that the motion was filed and a new court date set which I do not know what it is yet...can someone please explain what this means and is a good thing or a bad thing for me in regards to the motion for continous...

It's a Motion for Continuance, not Continuous. It's basically a postponement of the action until a later date. You need solid legal grounds to get a continuance and it can't just be for the purpose of extending the time frame - sometimes people need more time to gather evidence. It can be granted for a variety of reasons.

Your Attorney should be providing you with copies of all documents.

(There is a lengthy explanation of what a Continuance means if you need it - this is sort of the short story version.)
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 30, 2008, 12:41 PM
    This may be dangerous but I am going to assume you mean a motion for continuance. A motion for continuance means: Postponement or adjournment to a future date. It means that they will have more time to pull the information required to prove their case. It can be a bad thing for you if they pull together the necessary documentation. It can be good if they are still unable to obtain proof.
    rescue me Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Thanks a bunch for the input, and it was my attorney who filed I am not sure what they have filed in the beginning but my understanding is my attorney will be out of town and that is the reason the Motion for Continuance.. so far I have not been told anything... I feel like a mushroom most of the time with them keeping me in the dark... It has taken me a little over 4 years to be able to plod along with no one's help other than my own..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 1, 2008, 05:55 AM
    You are paying your attorney. His office owes you an explanation of what they are doing. A paralegal could have answered your question in 2 minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Singer Sewing Machine "singer merritt 4525" us a free motion foot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I saw one that's cleaver and free-motion sewing machine foot being use. My sewing machine is a singer merrit 4525. Can I use a free-motion foot on it? Also, Does anyone know a place online to get or lookat a free manual for that model? Thank for the help, Kathy Hamann

"Motion For Summary Judgement" [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond to a "Motion For Summary Judgement" without asking to get a court trail to itnent to defend. I want to respond and prolong this case because I am filing bakruptcy soon and I am still paying my lawyer. My bankruptcy lawyer will take care of it when I am already filed but I...

Blower Set to "Continuous Run" turns off Briefly when Compressor Cycles [ 4 Answers ]

We have two AC units/zones servicing our house... We have both systems set (at the thermostat) to continuously run the blowers even if the compressor has cycled off. The blower on one unit, however, cycles off briefly for about 2 seconds when the air conditioner compressor turns off, despite...

"kinematics-motion in one dimension" [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with three questions on a homework set. Could someone please offer help as how to solve these problems. Other examples would be great! Thanks 1) A daring ranch hand sitting on a tree limb wishes to drop vertically onto a horse galloping under the tree. The constant speed of...

"continuous" sale [ 1 Answers ]

What constitutes the practice of longstanding "continuous sale" prices? How much "not on sale" time will void being labelled a continuous sale? If something or service is not on sale 1 month of a year and on sale the rest, does that make it not accountable for being a "continuous sale"? Thank...

View more questions Search