Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skyman2112 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2008, 09:56 AM
    20hp briggs governor adjust
    Hi there, my 98 MTD riding mower suddenly developed a governor problem. The engine keeps hunting up and down and won't run at a steady speed. It not too bad at full throttle but won't idle at all. What should I check for? Thanks
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Check to see if there is a governor spring missing, loose, or broken.
    skyman2112 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    check to see if there is a governor spring missing, loose, or broken.
    Everything seems like its in place spring wise, when I pull the choke about 1/2 way it seems to run OK but if I push in the choke all the way the problem comes back. I even ran some carb cleaner though it for 20 mintues and no help. Thanks again.
    randerson101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 06:39 AM

If it's idling fast and slow you may have a hole in the diaphram on the carb. Or it may have dry rotted. Take it out and hold it to the light you should be able to see if there are any holes in it. If there are you need to replace it.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 08:16 AM

Sounds like you have a fuel blockage on the low side.
    Take the carb off clean it out run wires in the little holes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20hp briggs will not turn-over [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 craftsman mower with 20hp briggs I/C platinum engine. The starter will engage but will not turn the engine over. I have tried to jump direct to the starter and it still won't turn-over. I have also removed the plugs in order to reduce the compression and the load on the engine, still...

Governor On a Briggs and Stratton 11 HP [ 1 Answers ]

When I change carbs on my engine I had to change all the linkage including governor arm. Can someone tell me the proper procedure for adjusting the governor. If I turn it one way it runs wide open all the time, If I turn it the other way, the throttle will change speed, as I move throttle,...

Briggs V Twin 20HP [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Farm and Fleet garden tractor with a Briggs 20 HP V Twin engine. It started running lean recently. If you run at 3/4 choke, it runs OK. But will not run past idle when warm and the choke opened. I noticed the fuel filter bowl seemed almost empty. I replaced the pump thinking it...

How to adjust governor on older 8HP Briggs and Stratton mower motor [ 1 Answers ]

I had to dismantle two engines to make one. Have forgotten how to adjust governor. I have fully closed buttefly in carby, and turned governor actuating lever fully anti-clockwise before re-tightening clamp on governor arm. Is this right or wrong?

View more questions Search