Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mit1982 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Legal action against leasing office
    I have bed bugs problem in my apartment ,I reported this issue to leasing office of my apartment. They had been very rude and forced me to do pest control on my apartment from my pocket. They advised me a pest control company and I did that through them. Even after the next day I am suffering with same problem. Now Leasing office says that they are not responsible.
    I can not live in that apartment because of that , and leasing office says that I have to complete my remaining 6 months of my lease. And if I leave before that I have to pay them lease breakage amount.(which is huge for me)

Please advice can I take legal action against them ?
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Jun 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
    You could always call your local health dept and have them inspect the property and see if it's a violation... they could certainly force the issue to be resolved without having to go to court.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Did the leasing company or apartment provide you the bed you are sleeping in or is it yours?

That will be the deciding issue here.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    Did the leasing company or apartment provide you the bed you are sleeping in or is it yours?

That will be the deciding issue here.

Beat me to it! (Hate when that happens!) :D

As you say, it will depend on when the problem started and where the furniture came from.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Yes, if this is your furniture I am not sure it is the apartments fault, and it may take several trips to exterminate,and sometimes having to get rid of certain pieces of furniture
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Also something to consider. Did you travel anywhere and stay in a motel or hotel just prior to the bed bug infestation? If you did, you could possibly have brought the pesky critters home with you in your luggge. There have been reported outbreaks of bed bug infestation in even the best of hotels/motels recently.

Getting rid of bedbugs is expensive and must be dealt with systematically to get totally rid of them. You have to have your apt treated and wash everything clothing and bedding wise that you own all at the same time. There have been horror stories on the net about people taking months to totally get rid of the problem successfully.
    mit1982 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Thanks for Reply.

All the furniture in my apartment is my own not provided by leasing office. I also thought in same way that this has happened because of my furniture ,bed and cloths and hence I got my apartment and furniture treated by experts and washed all the cloths.

Still I got bed bugs in my apartment after all the treatments. I am not sure if its because of my stuff.
    Even after reporting this issue to my leasing office ,they don't take any responsibility,neither they try to inspect the root cause. My worry is

1) How many time will I pay this expensive treatment from my pocket if problem gets repeated ?
    2) Leasing office is not allowing me to vacant the apartment because lease gets over.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mit1982
    Thanks for Reply.

All the furniture in my appartment is my own not provided by leasing office. I also thought in same way that this has happened because of my furniture ,bed and cloths and hence I got my apartment and furniture treated by experts and washed all the cloths.

Still I got bed bugs in my appartment after all the treatments. I am not sure if its because of my stuff.
    Even after reporting this issue to my leasing office ,they dont take any responsibility,neither they try to inspect the root cause. My worry is

1) How many time will I pay this expensive treatment from my pocket if problem gets repeated ?
    2) Leasing office is not allowing me to vacant the appartment because lease gets over.

How long did you live there before you had the problem?

You could try writing management a letter, return receipt, telling them that the apartment is uninhabitable, that you cannot live there. I don't think they'll let you out of the lease and will - if you leave without their consent - pursue you for the balance of the rent. In almost every State (Florida is one exception) the have to do their best to then re-rent the apartment and you don't have to pay for the months when someone else lives there.

Of course, they will have to exterminate and they will attempt to get that money from you.

Did the exterminator guarantee the treatment would work?

Have you talked to the previous tenants, other people in the building? You may not be alone and it would be important to find out when the problem started - hopefully before you moved in.

At this point you are probably going to come out ahead - depending on rent and the cost of the exterminator - if you pay for another treatment rather than leaving.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it too late for legal action? [ 14 Answers ]

We joined a travel club in July this year. It sounded like a great way to be able to save at the time. It was one of these "sign today as you will never be invited to join again" deals. I feel so stupid for having fallen for this. Since then, the company has "closed its membership" and is...

Would you take Legal Action for Slander? [ 8 Answers ]

First, I need to tell the entire story so that you may get a feel of what's going on. About a month and a half ago I applied for an Assistant Managers position at one of the larger grocery stores in my city. I interviewed for the position and a few days later they called and made me a job...

Is there any legal action I can take? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's biological father has never been a part of her life. Ya, he was around her for a few months here and there, only because we share common family members by marriage. No, we are not related. She was 2 yrs old when paternity test were done. A month after the paternity papers he got...

View more questions Search