Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Bathtub Faucet Issue
    Can someone tell me why my bathtub faucet has water come out and run down the underside and then on to the tub surround as opposed to just straight down in to the tub and how to solve this issue?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 10:40 PM
    I assume you are talking about tub spout... Also, you are not saying whether water runs directly on the wall from where spout meets the wall or if water is diverted form the tip of the spout towards the wall.

Spout is mounted on a gal. nipple or copper stub out. If copper stub-out then tighten the set screw so grabs the pipe and so it make a positive seal. If gal.nipple than see if you can turn the spout clock-wise and tighten it up.

If water is directed to the wall from the tip of the spout, than you may have damage to the "mouth" of the spout, or, perhaps, advanced stage of calcification build up.

Do visual inspection and inspect "mouth" of your spout with tips of your fingers. You should be able to feel abnormalities.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 28, 2008, 05:18 AM
    QUOTE=bredin01]Can someone tell me why my bathtub faucet has water come out and run down the underside and then on to the tub surround as opposed to just straight down in to the tub and how to solve this issue?[/quote]
    Milo gave you a great place to start. Let me add a bit to it. You weren't specific in your question so you're forcing us to guess. I'm guessing that you have a slip on diverter spout, (see image) that's leaking from the back as you fill the tub, (how'm I doing so far? ) If that's the case then rwist the spout so the under side shows and loosen the Allen Set Screw so the spout pulls off. The reason it leaks is that the "O" ring has been rolled out of position. It should fit neatly into the slot previded for it. Now take a file or some sandcloth and file or sand off the burr on the end of the copper stub out. That's what caused the problem in the first place. Now grease the end of the copper pipe with silicon Lubricant or Plunbers Heat Proof Grease snd nslip the spout back on and tight against the wall. Tighten the Allen Head Screw and test your work. Leak all gone now? Good luck, Tom

Jun 28, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Gentlemen,

It's leaking from the tip of the spout. So does it ned replaced or just "scrub" out the calcification?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 06:53 PM
    If the tip of the spout itself diverts water towards the wall - then I would go to Home Depot and bought new spout.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 06:56 PM
    So bredin are you saying you can see a clump of crud buildiung up at the tip of the spigot? If so just scrape it out with a pen knife.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
    The one with the shower diverter valve like ball pictured costs less than $ 17. At Lowe's. (Bought one last week) Without the valve they are less. You need allen wrenches to undo the set screw and be sure the end of the stub out has all the sharp edges filed down. I think you should replace it.

Sep 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
    I removed the "crud" and it still goes about half way back down the spout on the underside from the front of the spout. Please advise.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Bredin,

You will be wasting your time on cleaning the spouts are cheap,Remove the spout take it with you to Home depot or low's buy one, if it is a threaded buy some teflon tap also if it a slip type make sure to clean the end of the nipple and use some lubricant on the Oring, good Luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

When the faucet is turned towards the hot water side the water quits all together. The cold side works fine. This is a Moen faucet with just the single knob.

Bathtub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced bathtub faucet due to drip but now cold water runs out even when turned off instead of drip.

Bathtub faucet [ 6 Answers ]

My bathtub faucet runs like its still on after I cut it off, any suggestions?

Dripping bathtub faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Delta faucet with a single knob, it is dripping from the faucet in the shower. How can I fix it.? Thanks, Alice

Old bathtub drain issue [ 3 Answers ]

My bathtub drain has gone from being sluggish to taking hours to drain completely. (Luckily, I live alone!) I've used Drano. I've snaked it, and the snake is catching on what I assume used to be a part of an old drain stopper mechanism inside. Currently, there's no drain stopper in the tub. The...

View more questions Search