Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dezzi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Sulfur smell
    We recently had a bathroom and kitchen put into the basement for living space... there are two bathrooms and one kitchen on the two levels upstairs and one bath and one kitchen on the 1 1/2 floors downstairs. I have lived here for nearly 30 years and have NEVER smelt sulfur (water has always been hard and not drinkable but no sulfur) but since the remodeling the downstairs bathroom smells like rotten eggs (sulfur) but the upstairs does NOT. Why would this happen? It is the same water source. Is it at all possible that the guy (idiot) who claimed to be a contractor and wasn't could have messed up when doing the plumbing? Someone mentioned an "S" curve and that he might have forgotten to put one in... problem is that I do not know anything about plumbing!! Please help me figure out what on earth has happened!! At least a place to start would be nice! Thank you! :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 28, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Someone mentioned an "S" curve and that he might have forgotten to put one in...
    Referring to a "S" trap which is highly illegal in any code. I'm begaining to wonder if you're trapped at all. Open up the access panel and check to see if the tub has a "P" trap installed. Where does it smell the worse? Tub, toilet or lavatory? Let me know, Tom
    dezzi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Well... it's definitely NOT the water... we put some water in a bucket and went outside to smell it and it didn't have the oder... BUT the problem is... well there is NO panel so we don't know what to do anymore. The smell is worse when showering this is one thing we have noticed... the bathroom is in the basement and it's on a pump. I don't know if this has anything to do with the smell... but it is becoming VERY DIFFICULT to bare the smell when showering and after showering! What else can I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sulfur smell in cold water [ 4 Answers ]

We have a sulfur rotten egg smell coming from the cold water faucet only and only in one bathroom. We have city water. We removed the faucet, check the drain, no smell. But the water emptied from the flex hose warm side no smell at all. Cold side, smells like rotten eggs. Still am not sure where...

Sulfur smell when doing laundry. [ 1 Answers ]

There's been a strong smell of sulfur, whenever we do laundry in the basement of our 3 story home. Now I'm smelling it when the dishwasher runs. Is there some kind of "flush" they can do for a whole house?

Sulfur smell from Shower [ 1 Answers ]

The master bath has a strong sulfur smell when we run the shower. When we use the other bathroom there is no smell. We isolated it to the shower drain. Thanks Deb

Sulfur smell from ac vents [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into a new home about 2 years ago. About 3 months ago I started smelling a faint smell of sulfur and in the last month it has gotten much worse. I thought maybe an animal had gotten into the attic. I inspected the roof and all overhangs as well as the inside of the house and no where...

View more questions Search