Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samuelluvsliz Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Sex and pregnancy
    Is it okay to have sex during pregnancy and if so until how far along? I am 9 weeks and me and my husband will have sex once a week or every two weeks. Sometimes I am afraid that I will harm the baby, and I try to take it easy and not over do it. Is it better to wear a condom? Does the sperm harm the baby?

Please advise. I forgot to ask my doctor when I went in to see her. I also have not been having complications such as bleeding and such.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 08:42 PM
    You can have sex until the day you give birth unless instructed otherwise. Sometimes they will suggest having sex to induce labor for over-due mommies. And I've never hear of sperm harming a baby. But I think J_9 is the expert on all this and she will undoubtedly be in here soon to give you far superior answers!
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Pregnancy - Pregnancy Sex

Has all the info you want on sex while pregnant.

1. chances of you harming the baby are slim... unless you guys REALLY rough or are into some fetishes including whips and such.

2. sperm won't harm the baby. The baby's actually in an amniotic sac implanted on your uterine wall.
    RedneckMama Posts: 103, Reputation: 17

Jun 24, 2008, 08:46 PM
    If your doctor has not said flat out, "Do not have sex.." then go for it... You are a healthy woman obviously, you're pregnant without bleeding... you're good to go!

You can have sex completely free from worry until your doc says you can't.. which probably won't even happen! The only reason they will tell you not to have sex is if you have preterm labor.. which means the baby tries to come early... or if you develop some sort of condition and/or problem (like a yeast infection)...

The sperm will not hurt the baby.. your baby is safe and nestled inside it's amniotic sac where it will stay until it's birthday.. don't worry.. have fun with your hubby!
    Also, don't worry about over doing it, you're only 9 weeks along.. you can't overdo it at this point... over doing it is also something your doctor will tell you if it becomes an issue for you.. normally, when pregnant, you can do just about anything your body and energy level will let you get away with!

Try to relax and enjoy being pregnant... Good luck!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Yes, it is often fine to have sex during pregnancy, but you should talk to your provider first... they'll address whether you are an at risk patient.. for ex, if you've had a history of miscarriage or early labor they might tell you to hold back. Likewise, if your cervix opens early, they'll do the same.

Our certified nurse midwife gave us the green light, based on my wife's history and prognosis. Sometimes she was amped for sex. Sometimes she wasn't. In our situation, it was never a concern.

The only inconsistency I've seen is the talk about orgasm and the uterine contractions that are tied to orgasm versus labor. I've read enough times where people have stated the two are completely different... and yet I've also read that giving the woman an orgasm late term can perhaps push her into labor...

Short answer is I've seen enough to say as long as you are low risk, its all fine... that said... please talk to your health care provider about your history and your specific situation.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Yes you can have sex with a normal pregnancy, you can keep doing it right up until your waters break. Do check with your doctor or midwife first if you're having any problems with your pregnancy, such as placenta praevia or bleeding or if you have a history of miscarriages.

You won't hurt the baby by making love, even with your partner on top. The thick mucus plug that seals the cervix helps guard against infection. The amniotic sac and the strong muscles of the uterus also protect your baby. Though your fetus may thrash around a bit after orgasm, it's because of your pounding heart, not because he knows what's happening or feels pain.

My boyfriend use to think that having sex will harm the baby and would not have sex with me until we got a green light from the doctor. Even afterwards he was a little weary and later in the pregnancy it started to feel a little uncomfortable, but we tried position that was comfortable towards me. As I and many posters stated having sex is until, if u have no complications, but to ease your mind consult your doctor to ask them, but if their was complication or you could'nt have sex, I'm sure the doctor would have advised you of this at your visit. Congratulations!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 06:17 AM
    I just want to say that I can't add any more to the wonderful advice you have already been given.

Bravo guys, for a job well done. Thanks for picking up my slack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IUD and Pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

Ive had the IUD almost 6 months. I have been feeling pukey, cramps, backack like really bad, and peeing a lot a lot. Im to scard to take apregnancy test right now. I was wondering does that sound like I'm pregnant? Help me please

Pregnancy ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, it me again for those of you who read my last post. I am feeling better, but I have developed a cold... my tummy feels bigger but I am due for my period in like 3 days... if I were pregnant id be going on maybe my 6th week. I do not think I would be showing at this point. Right? I had...

Pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a possibility that I could feel sympthoms of pregnancy in the first day of conception?

Cat pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

Can swelling at the stomach be the first signs of a pregnant cat?

Regarding Pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

I was on siphene from day2 for about 5 days and from day 4 I started taking HMG injection for three days and from day 9 I had my follicular scan continuously till day 17th.where the follicle to get ruptured,I was given rupture injection on day 13 (size of the follicle was 31 * 26 on day 13)and it...

View more questions Search