Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamieleeinlv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Dual residency pertaining custody & child support and also income taxes
    I am currently living in Nevada. I am getting ready to move to California. I will still work in Nevada 3 days a week and live in California 4 days a week. I want to file with the family court in California for a court order for custody and child support for my 8 month old daughter. Can I establish dual residency? Thus paying Nevada taxes for my moneys earned and also being a resident of California as that is where the majority of our time will be spent and the filing with the family court will be done.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Are you keeping your home in Nevada? If so then yes but if you are only living in California as in that is where your only house then basically no you can not. Because you earn all your wages from Nevada no matter where you live you will have to pay Nevada's income taxes. If you are buying your home in California you will have property taxes in that state. California may also take some of your income tax because you are a resident there. You will have to petition the court for a change in jurisdiction after you move so that you have proof of residency. Those changes are generally easy to make but I have to let you know that if the father has any visitation rights through the court you have to have his permission before moving his child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

May I File Taxes if Income only Consists of Child Support and SSI Benefits for my Chi [ 3 Answers ]

*This is actually for a friend of mine but I am going to write it in first person anyway.* Hopefully, someone will have some advise on my dilemma. I am unsure as to whether I need to feel taxes for 2007. Last year I was receiving cash aid up until August when I started receiving SSI Benefits...

What constitutes dual residency for Taxes in CA and DC? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a CA congressman, grew up and went to college in CA, vote in CA, and live in DC. My state taxes are paid to CA, but apparently I have to file a DC state tax return because I live there year-round and was paid a small amount for work I did in DC separate from my duties on a congressional...

Child support/custody [ 7 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter which is stipulated in my divorce and now she went to live with her dad at 18 because she did not like my house rules can he legally take me for child support? And can the courts have me pay back order from the time she left till present? We are in NYC.

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

View more questions Search