Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flacatvc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 04:50 PM
    I can CRACK MY JAW , is this normal?
    Hi am 18 years old , i wore braces when i was 10 up until i turned about 15 , my concerns are the following while the time that i wore braces i was able to start craking my jaw , i only really cracked it on the left side on the right i could but not as loud and badly, at first when it started i told my orthodontist and he told me it was normal,and to try not crack it , but sometimes it bothers me when i'm chewing , i feel as if i need to unlock my jaw, so you could pretty much say that i crack it open , at first it didnt hurt now it's really starting to bother me it hurts , just the left side all the way up into my ear , i'm really scared that this will require surgery and think i got fooled by my orthodontist when he told me it was normal what should i do ??????? :(
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 05:27 PM
    It is normal. I have cracked my jaw through the years no problem
    If it is really a problem then I think it could possibly be TMJ or something.

Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome Causes, Symptoms and Treatment on eMedicineHealth.com
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 06:12 PM
    What you are experiencing is called "crepitus", the clicking sound when you chew or yawn.
    Since you are getting pain into your ear, I'd suggest you either go back to your orthodontist or see your dentist as soon as possible. You may be clenching or grinding your teeth and may need a nightguard to protect the joints.

Temporomandibular Disorders

Avoid chewy foods like bagels and gum. When you yawn, keep the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth to prevent you from opening too wide and stretching the TMJ ligaments.
    jessirich Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Hey! I have the same problem, except I have been doing this for almost 8 years now! They figured out that my problem started because I grit my teeth at night. Maybe if you wore a night guard at night, you could check to see if you are possibly having the same problem. Unfortunately, nothing really helps it. I have been told that I should have surgery on mine, because of it's severity, but, it is not a need-to-do basis. Talk to your dentist about it, but make sure you tell them everything that's going on with it!
    Humanature Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
    I drive a forklift for my job and it has become habit, while I'm working away, to repeatedly clench My jaw until it cracks (which kind of feels good for a while) but then I continue the motion, now that there's no resistance, and it ends up making my jaw hurt like crazy and then the gum pain sets in and incredible tooth sensitivity (the nerves in that area are all connected). So now that the 3-4 days of excutiating pain has subsided I'm just trying to make a conscious effort not to do it. I've been able to do this my whole life and figured everybody else could too. Now, with the sudden pain strikes, I'm starting to think that further clenching/cracking will lead to huge damages and inevitable surgery. Ouch :/
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 04:01 AM
    Humanature, have you thought about getting a night guard to wear while you are working? A night guard made by a dentist will help take the pressure off your TMJ (jaw joint) and reduce or rid the pain and popping. My husband hauls steel and he clenches when he is chaining his loads, he wears a guard to protect his teeth.
    Clenching can cause bone loss which can lead to tooth loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My breasts! Normal, or not normal? [ 8 Answers ]

OK, so I'm 12 years old. My breasts are growing fairly quickly, and now I've reached to about a b-cup. The problem is, my right breast is growing at a much faster rate then my left breast. Now it looks ridiculously mis-matched, and my right breast even has stretch marks! I'm worried now, will it...

Crack in brick [ 2 Answers ]

We are getting ready to purchase a 2004 home and it has a small crack ( less than 2mm ) in the brick on the outside of the home underneath the garage. The garage floor has small cracks, really hairline cracks. I have a structural engineer coming out to inspect, what should I be concerned withk?

Crack in corian [ 5 Answers ]

We have corian countertops and now have a crack in the sink which is one continuous flow from countertop. All one piece. The crack goes all the way through and it leaks to the underneath. The crack is about 12 inches long. Does anyone know if this can be repaired or will we have to replace...

Oil burner crack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crack in my cast iron oil burner that is in between the 2 rectangular clean out openings right at the bottom of the lifting eye. It seeps water when the furnace gets to the top of the heat cycle and stops as the temp/pressure subsides. I'd estimate it is about 1"-1 1/2 " long. Would...

Help me before I crack [ 1 Answers ]

OK I know this is not a lot to work with but I heard this song on a classic rock station, you know 70's 80's and 90's anyway the song sort of sounds like a gangster movie its got gun shots, squealin tires, and police sirens but no real lyrics, I believe the dj said it was a song from the band...

View more questions Search