Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thad Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2006, 04:17 PM
    A way to put a drain in a basement cement floor
    Speedball has helped me before so maybe he or someone else can advise me now.

I will need to move a drain (that is already cemented in a basement floor) about 3 feet. The way I was told by a plumber is to use a concrete saw.

I do not want the mess a concrete saw will create so I thought of a different way of making a hole in the concrete. I was thinking of drilling holes with a hammer drill first with small concrete drill bits and then widening them with larger ones. After the holes are drilled I will chisle out the concrete to get at the pipe and add the drain. Does this sound like a good way to do the job without the dust?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 18, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Hey Thad, Welcome back. I think you're going to work twice as hard, make three times the mess and take four times as long. Think about, zip -zip with a cement saw and you've cut in the trench. Then all you have to do is break it out. If dust is your concern then take a hose and wet the cement down. Then have someone squirt the hose on the blade while you're making the cut to dampen the dust. Sound like a plan? Good luck, Tom
    jpaulda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
    I agree with speed.
    Deke1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 04:45 PM
    It is quick and easy to break the concrete up with a small jack hammer. There will be very little dust. There will probably be some wire and sheet plastic in the floor so you may need to cut it as you go. Also, it is good to undermine the concrete, dig the dirt out from under the concrete as you go. It tends to break much easier if there is no dirt below the area being broken.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2011, 05:50 PM

Deke1: you are responding to 5 year old thread. If you have question, start new thread. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Floor Drain Back Up [ 3 Answers ]

House is a one storey with finished basement (older) it has a floor drain in front of the washer/dryer , and it has been backing up. Two months ago we had some issues with the drain in which the water level was almost to the top of the drain(floor level)and during washing clothes soap bubbles would...

Basement floor drain backs up [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had a problem with our basement floor drain backing up when we took a shower or used the washer. We paid $350.00 for someone to come roto-rooter the main sewer line out to the street. He used the trap next to the basement stairs inside to clean out. He pulled out a ton of roots and ran...

Basement floor drain backs up [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! We recently purchased our first home built in 1956. We have had a couple of plumbing issues arise so far. First, the kitchen sink wouldn't drain. We took all the pipes off the wall (there was nothing in the trap) and ran the roto rooter thing (no plumbing experience obviously! ) down. It...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

View more questions Search