Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hunter30240 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Child Abandonment
    My question is how many days is a child to be left before it is considered child abandonment in the state of GA?

Nikki
    RedneckMama Posts: 103, Reputation: 17

Jun 23, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Are we talking about some sort of relationship where one parent split, and has since not contacted the child? Or is this something different? I'm going to assume it's the first one since you posted under 'Family Law'...

My understanding of the length of the time that must pass before you can call it abandonment is a year with no contact at all... no phone calls, letters, child support paid, visitation...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Normally from the first day, if they are left at walmart, or left somewhere.

Also normally non contact is not a reason to take righs away, what do you want to do with using abandoment
    Georgia Child Custody Law
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Hello N:

Like the Padre asked you, what do you think you get by such a declaration? Whatever it is you THINK you get, there are OTHER ways to get it that are easier and cheaper.

Let us know what you want, and we'll tell you how to get it.

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Check this: "Today, abandonment of a child is considered to be a serious crime in many jurisdictions because it can be considered malum in se (wrong in itself) and due to welfare concerns. For example, in the U.S. state of Georgia, it is a misdemeanor to willfully and voluntarily abandon a child, and a felony to abandon one's child and leave the state. In 1981, Georgia's treatment of abandonment as a felony when the defendant leaves the state was upheld as constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court.[2]"
    and: "The offense of abandonment is a continuing offense. Except as provided in subsection (I) of this Code section, former acquittal or conviction of the offense shall not be a bar to further prosecution therefor under this Code section, if it is made to appear that the child in question was in a dependent condition, as defined in this Code section, for a period of 30 days prior to the commencement of prosecution." See: Georgia Georgia Abandonment of Spouse or Child - Attorney Trey Phillips
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 03:10 PM
    But there have been exceptions, there have been safe zones allowed to give your child up for new mothers, such as hospital and fire houses
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Georgia may be the only state that says that if the noncustodial parent fails to support a child for 30 days, the custodial parent may have him arrested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Abandonment [ 8 Answers ]

I have a similar question to what someone else asked who is located from Alabama. How do I file for Child Abandonment? The difference between my situation and the other person who asked this exact question is that the father actually still lives in the same state as we do. He hadn't seen my son in...

Child Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a qustion about child abandonment. My son's biological father hasn't seen his son since 9mons of age, my son is now 3yrs old. He does pay child support, not enough in my opinion. I haven't seen him (son's father) since our last court date which was Feb. 05'. I have met a wonderful man...

Child Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take for a parent to have not seen or made no contact with their biological child for it to be considered child abaondment in the state of Illinois?

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My fathers son has had no contact of paid no support for 1 year, I would like to know if there is any way I can get him for abandonment with out having to retain a lawyer.

View more questions Search