Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geegeesha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Should I leave him?
    I've been with my boyfriend for about 2 and a half years and I guess we've moved pretty fast considering. We live together and share finances, paying bills and rent shared. It works well and I'm really the only one who stresses about money or anything. I work nights and He works days so its hard to spend time together. We don't really fight much and it never lasts for long though I get frustrated with his lack of responsibility in doing simple grown up things like cooking, cleaning, managing finances etc. He's 22 but its typical of boys I guess. I've been thinking for a while that I might like to go my separate way from him but it is really hard because our relationship is generally good and loving. He is just no nice and everyone loves him, especially me! I just feel so guilty and selfish at the idea of leaving him... he'd be heartbroken and would struggle on his own. I am smart, independent, capable and eager to travel and experience the world. I feel like things are much harder with him and can't help but feeling that being on my own would be easier, not having to consider someone else in my plans all the time and being able to control my world better. I understand that this sounds selfish, controlling and unfeeling but I can see this other life without him that seems easier. He is always there for me and I would miss him greatly but if I stick with him I worry that down the track I will look back and wish I'd left sooner.
    geegeesha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 09:03 AM
    p.s. He is deep in debt, constantly spending money on nothing, old fines and expenses keep popping up out of nowhere, he uses MY car all the time which results in me catching cabs and walking places. It drives me nuts! He would have nothing if it wasn't for me and he makes my life hard. Saving is impossible. I feel like I solve all our problems and his life is so easy because of me.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Have you talked to him about how you feel?

I have a friend that's in a similar situation than you. Her boyfriend of 8 years, with which she has two kids, pregnant with the third, buys everything he wants and she takes care of the bills. He's in debt up to his eyeballs, skidoos, quads, car parts (he's always upgrading), You name it he buys it. When a bill comes he has no cash to pay, even though he make three times as much as she does and is 4 years older (should have grown up by now)

This sound familiar? This could be you in another 6 years. Time to sit down and decide what you are going to do. Can you live with the way he is, or do you want to leave. Keep in mind that you can't change him, so things probably aren't going to get any better than they are right now.

Good luck.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
    My boyfriend used to be this way and it ignored the hell out of me. I had a talk with him about his money issues and he now is very cautious with money. He paid all his debts and now pays all his bills ahead of time before their due, which improved his credit score. He made a lot of changes and I'm very proud of him and he is too.

Voice all your concerns to your boyfriend and if he don't change then leave, but if you really don't want to be with him and rather be alone, also leave. Don't stay if your heart not in it and know that sometimes people grow apart.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 12:28 PM
    You don't get an easy answer on this one. You have to choose your master.

Either your moving towards marriage and all of his issues/problems/debts etc are becoming yours and you're fine with that...

... or you're not fine with ANY of it and you shouldn't let any earlier bad decisions (like moving in together) stop you from doing right by yourself now.

Pick. Then be honest about your choice. IF you choose to pursue your own needs, then his needs are his to worry about. You can't have it both ways. Either you're staying and taking his junk onto your shoulders like all loving couples do, or you're not.

There's no middle ground that isn't insanity. Choose.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 05:49 AM
    If that the way you feel he should be the first to know, not the last.

There is no shame in changing your mind, but let him know that you have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why did he leave me? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem... I want to know the reason for my ex leaving me. He told me it is just something that happened beyond his control and this however, is not a valid reason. I thought things were going great with us and it was totally unexpected when he dumped me. I kind of think he did it because...

Why can't he just leave me alone? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't understand if my ex boyfriend doesn't want to have nothing to do with me. Why does he keep calling me ever now and then ? And promises to come see me or pay for me to visit him .Also he wants me to move in with him. What is his problem . I ask him this question and he never answers it ....

Leave it to my son! [ 11 Answers ]

Some of you from answerway know my youngest is in Iraq. He finally sent some pics home and I knew this pic was his work right off the bat. Now you see why I am scared for him? I ain't counting on any Pres to bring them home! Not even Hillary. I think a lot of the issues the Presidents debate...

How do I leave him [ 2 Answers ]

I'VE been with this man for 10 years , I have 2 kids one from him one from my past We live as common law he makes me feel like a nobody he has hit me called me names I have lost my job because of him many times I want to leave but have no money to go Please help me what should I do...

Should I Leave Her or Not [ 11 Answers ]

I am engaged to a girl I really love. I am only 21 and she is 24. Of course I have always had doubts because of my age and so has she because of my age. We have been together for 2 years. We seem to fight a lot and sometimes I want to leave just because of that. We had a fight a couple of...

View more questions Search