Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danitah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 05:27 PM
    I have a 3 month old female daschund. She is very hard to potty train.
    :eek: :eek: My 3 month old female daschund will not learn to potty outside. She will go to the door and unirnate at the door. She will also be outside for 30 minutes and come right in and urinate. Sometimes when you go to pick her up, she will run away and urinate. Is there something we can do to help her learn to potty outside?;) ;) :o
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 22, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Have you considered crate training? Labman has excellent information in the sticky at the top of the page. Housebreaking a puppy is hard work and takes consistency and a strict schedule. Sometimes walking her around on a leash will encourage her to go. Keep walking until she goes, I know 30 or 45 minutes can seem like forever, but once she goes a few times out there and you LAVISH tons of praise on her, it should improve quickly. When not crated she must be watched very closely at all times. Get to know her mannerisms and you'll soon know the signs of when she needs to go. Of course if no one is watching her it won't work. Doing the hard work now will pay off later on. Make sure you clean up any accidents to remove any trace of odor. Good luck with your new furry friend!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 11:00 AM
    My sticky leaves out the importance of making the puppy walk around outside to stimulate it to eliminate.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 24, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Your dog is eliminating inside the house because that is where its scent is, you need to wipe up the pee with a paper towel and place it in the back yard.. clean the spot with something strong so it can't smell it and start bringing it outside consistently every hour to two hours for about a week or so and she'll learn her scent is outside, not in.
    kittykeedy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 06:09 PM
    That's just because they are sooooo stubborn! But aren't they silly and cute? It's a trade off. My 1. yr doxie still has an accident once a week or so... best he's ever been though
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 9, 2008, 07:29 PM
    I had a miniature Dachshund and he was never potty trained; they are very stubborn, and every Dachshund owner I know has had a rough time. I would just stay persistent, and if it continues you might want to try taking your pup to a behaviorist where they can tell you what your dogs strengths and weaknesses are to training, and how exactly to use those to help your dog and yourself. And remember, dogs react better to positive reinforcement, rather than negative.

Good luck!
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
    We finally got ours trained after about 6 months old,they are now 3.And yes they are stuburn,never listen,but they are cute,lol.. try this group out, I recommend any one who owns a dashound to try this group out.
    http://groups.msn.com/TheDachshundZo...s&all_topics=0
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Physiologically, many dogs can't begin to "hold it" properly until 4 months old. Your puppy is only 3 months, so be patient. She's still very young. You should definitely be with the dog whenever it goes out so that you can praise and/or treat it when it goes where it's supposed to. There will be accidents. Make sure whatever you're using to clean up the pee/poo is specifically made for the purpose. Dogs can smell under regular cleaners. Do not use any cleanser that contains ammonia as it will encourage urination in undesirable places.
    kittykeedy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    dogs can smell under regular cleaners. do not use any cleanser that contains ammonia as it will encourage urination in undesirable places.

Vinegar removes removing urine! Use a solution
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 12:16 PM

Another two year old thread, did this new member just look for threads where the puppy is now a older dot to answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 yr old won't potty train [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I have a 3 year old son as well as a 9 month old son and a 10 year old daughter. I have been having a very difficult time trying to train him to go on the potty. I think I have tried about every pull up out there, even the one that goes cold when he goes, but all he did was laugh that it went...

Trying to potty train [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a miniature dachsund for my son. The lady who had him said that she had started potty training him until she got hurt and could not tend to him anymore. He is 9 weeks old and I have bought the potty pads for him. I have put the potty pad out and noticed that he will pee on the pad...

Hard to train my 5 month old Shorkie [ 2 Answers ]

I have been taking my 5 month old Shorkie (Shih Tzu and Yorkie) out to do get him to do his business, but he just wants to play and sniff without doing his business. We stay out for at least 30 minutes and then I bring him back in and he urinates and defecates on his newspaper. How do I get him to...

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

How do I train my 5 month old Pomeranian not to go potty in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

A quick remedy for teaching my 5 month old Pomeranian, not to go potty in the house. I just bought him 2 days ago.

View more questions Search