Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamapup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Verbally abusive boyfriend
    How can I stop the verbal abuse?he just gets nastier and nastier everyday.and then wonders why I won't talk to him?
    sokay Posts: 142, Reputation: 14

Jun 20, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Verbal abuse is not good. I've had two bfs in the past that were verbally abusive. In different ways. One would yell and call me names and threaten me. He became physically abusive and I got out. The other one several years later he didn't call names but he would talk (loudly) to me (at me) obsessively, continually any time he was around. And insist I would sit and listen to him ramble about his dreams of becoming a 'rockstar' or whatever for hours on end. I couldn't do anything else. He became physical too and I got out of that too. Verbal abuse is abuse and it usually will become physical. Even if it doesn't it's plenty of reason to get out.

If you love him you should end it and tell him to seek anger management counseling. You'd need to feel completely convinced that he has learned not to do that anymore though before you took him back.

Here is an important book for you to read now:
    'The Verbally Abusive Relationship' by Patricia Evans. It lists numerous types of abuse, and has examples. It's not just name calling, it's putdowns, one-upmanship, all kinds of ways people can use words, speech, language to abuse you.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 20, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Men don't change. Well, they can, but you can't make him. He has to want to. I know you probably get tired of reading those "drop him and move on" posts, but that's really the best thing I can think of for you. Sorry 'bout that, but I do wish you the best of luck.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 07:01 PM
    You can't , so you either decide to put up with it which will eventually lead to worse behaviour , or you make the decision to not put up with it and leave him.

He may then see the error of his ways and try to sort himself out.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Men are motivated by loss. I'm sorry, but you will never "talk" him into treating you nicer. The only way he will learn, and ACTUALLY learn, is if it costs him something big. That may mean it has to cost him you.

If you DO decide to end it with him, you can teach him the most by waiting until he's in the middle of his abusive tirade at you. When it's your turn to respond, give him a hug, let him know you love him, but it's clear RIGHT NOW by the way he's talking to you that he isn't able to be happy in a relationship with you, so you're going to let him go.

He may or may not protest, but you keep saying that same thing: "I can tell by the way you think it's ok to talk down to me, demean me, put me down, make me feel bad about myself and my actions, I can tell by the way you are able to do that so freely that I am not the girl that will make you happy. That girl wouldn't bring out so much anger in you. You think you're right when you do this to me, clearly you think it's OK to be this way, and since that's not true, it's not alright at all, then I'm going to let you go so you can find someone who inspires you to be a GOOD man even more strongly than I appear to inspire you to be a BAD one."

Hopefully, he will get it. But if you take him back, you will still (most likely) end up getting the same bad stuff from him. For him to TRULY get it, you may have to break up with him, tell him it's because of the way he abuses you verbally, you can't take it, and you're gone. IF it actually costs him YOU, maybe he will be less abusive in his next relationship. Maybe. No guarantees.

Either way, whether he's better or not for the next girl, you're safely on to finding something better. Happy hunting. They're out there!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 06:59 AM
    You have to decide yourself worth, if you believe ( as you are) you are worth more than to be talked to in this manner then just do not allow it, if he starts talking bad, walk off, hang up on him, just don't allow it to happen, in the end, just find someone who treats you properly.
    jiltedgirl Posts: 125, Reputation: 23

Jun 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
    He obviously neither respects nor values you as a person or partner. Do you really need this? I think not. Don't make excuses for him. That doesn't solve the problem, it only exacerbates it.

If you want to lose the verbal abuse, there's only one route to take: lose the guy.
    sweety Posts: 77, Reputation: -1

Jun 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Get out of the relationship, it isn't good for you, he's crossing all the boundaries and it will get worst. He will say sorry, then do it more worst next time. Hes a control insecure freak that will take out all his out on you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mamapup
    how can i stop the verbal abuse?he just gets nastier and nastier everyday.and then wonders why i wont talk to him?
    Leave his abusive a$$, and never look back!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Leave!
    Men like that think they do N0 wrong and it is all your fault no matter how hard you try or how much it was them alone that caused the problem.
    I have tried the don't talk because then it will give him less to pick about but it doesn't make it any better whatsoever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Son Verbally Abusive To Me [ 6 Answers ]

My son just turned 30 and he and his wife live about 15 minutes away. They have a 2 1/2 year old boy, my grandson, that I love very much. I spend a lot of time with him and have even kept him over night. I have also been dating a man and we are now in an exclusive relationship. This weekend I...

Verbally abusive mother [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 12yr old boy that is controlling, bossy and whiny at times. I geuss he is somewhat spoiled but he manages to do great in school and never gets into trouble. To me, he is just a typical boy. My mother goes places with my family, weekends away, vacations etc... but it never fails, she always...

Getting a friend out of verbally abusive relationship? [ 11 Answers ]

Sorry for the long post, I suck at condensing things :\ Just to start this off, I just turned 18 and the girl involved is almost 17. She's been involved with this guy a year or so, and I just started being friends with her a couple months ago. Since then we've talked a lot, and she really likes...

How do I cope with a Verbally abusive sister-in-law? [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and my sister-in-law have been married 40 years. In all those years I have been subject to my sister-in-laws hurtful critisims of me. I have for the most part tried to ignore her mean words. But recently it became too much and I finally told her to knock it off. Now---- She's...

Verbally abusive husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is a first time for me . I need some help I have been married for 13 years to a man who loves his children and wife. But is so verbal abusive that my son is now verbal to me like my husband treats me. He can be the most loving husband and dad that you could ever ask for and the next...

View more questions Search