Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shellydb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Low hot water pressure
    I have low hot water pressure. The cold is fine. Does my house need to be replumbed
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jun 15, 2008, 12:04 AM
    You may need to flush out the tank in the water heater. Is it an old water heater? Does it "crackle and pop" when it heats water? How long is the run between the water heater and the faucet you are using?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2008, 04:40 AM
    DaBa nailed it! You need to set up a maintenance schedule. Let me show you how.

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Not necessarily. Your faucets may be clogged inside, on hot water side. Try to remove one stem, clean it, flush it and reinstall it. If it doesn't help, it may be w/h problem. Than, consider repipe.

Jun 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
    What if the faucet is a single inlet?. and there are lots of them. Contaminants from the hot water would clog either side not just the hot water side.

I best bet would be to flush the water heater first and then work your way from there.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
    I'd have to agree with DaBaAd and Tom. The crud that plugs your mixing valves comes from your poorly maintained heater. Flushing the heater in my house has cause 0 problems with hot water pressure in my home for over 20 years. Now that you have problems we need to know if its all hot water taps or just a few. The individual faucets need to be disassembled and cleaned after you flush that tank.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Sure, good point: even single handle faucets have separate hot and cold water passages hidden inside the body of the faucet.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 08:28 PM
    That would be a cartridge in the mixing valve body. They are repalceable and repairable and many times can just be cleaned in vinegar or CLR. The culprit is the water heater.

Jun 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
    CLR is great if you can let the mixing valve sit for a while especially if it's rather old

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

How to daisy chain water supply tanks & increase water pressure? [ 3 Answers ]

The deep water well that supplies our home also supplies another small house on the property that my father lives in. Water supply has never been an issue as it is a great well. The well feeds a small supply tank with switch, then there is two other supply tanks that are daisy chained together...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search