Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgreer8 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Lawn Mower
    This question is about my lawn mower. I can get it to start, but I have to keep pumping the bulb to keep it running. What can I do to fit it?
    Thanks, cgreer8

<moved from Lawn & Garden>
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Fit it? The problem is in the tank, the pickup tube or the carb. Remove and clean all of these. And I think you meant fix it. But if you need a primer bulb to FIT IT, carry your model, type and serial #s from the engine to the shop to get a primer bulb to FIT it.

Jun 17, 2008, 06:44 PM
    I've cleaned all of the above it ran for about 15 min. and died. Now I can't get to start at all. Today I again took off the tank, carb and fuel line and cleaned all of them and it still will not start. Any ideas to what else I can do.
    Thanks cgreer8
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 07:18 PM
    OK you cleaned everything but have you tested the float and needle valve. Reassemble everything but leave the bowl off. Add gas to the tank and the float area should be dripping gas at a fairly go clip. Raise the float until it stops and the gas should stop dripping. Can back and tell us how that went. PS reinstall the bowl or its going to drip out your entire tank full.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 17, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Sure sounds like the float is sticking to me too. Might try spraying the valve assembly with carb cleaner and working the float by hand to clean it up. Don't bend it. Good luck

Jun 19, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Ok, today I took it all apart again cleaned everything one more time. This time I cleaned the bolt that holds the bottom of the bowl on and it started. I mowed my lawn left the mower in the driveway so that it could cool down for cleaning. So when I went to clean it was leaking gas from around where the air filter goes any ideas on what I did wrong?
    Again thanks cgreer8

Jun 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
    I think the float is dirty as I said before and it stuck in the down position and let the gas overfill the bowl and then it ran out the carb. The needle valve and float need cleaning. The needle valve allows the gas to come into the float bowl when the float is down. As the bowl fills and the float moves upward the valve is closed, stopping the fuel flow. If all this is cleaned and not sticking, I think the problem will be solved.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 09:42 AM
    I agree with westnlas but there is always one other problem that can cause this symptom. Your float may have lost its ability to float completely because it is gaslogged or cracked. If you keep flooding after cleaning the needle valve and seat then I'd consider a float replacement.

Jun 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Yes, the float can go bad. You may need to get a new carb, if you can't find the parts for the one you have. Good luck with it. An alternative might be to rip your lawn out and replace it with a colored rock mulch. That's what I finally did. Here in Las Vegas, it's encouraged by the water company. I went to desert landscape and gave the mower & edger to charity. Gave me more room in the garage too.

Jul 19, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Well thanks everyone for your help I cleaned the bolt that holds the bowl on the carb runs like new again!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn chief riding lawn mower forward and reverse [ 4 Answers ]

The lawn mower will not go forward or reverse, What should I check to fix this problem?

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Lawn Chief riding lawn mower [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is some kind of online manual or diagram showing how to put together different areas of a lawn chief riding mower? We have an older model we're fixing up... just wondering if there's any display or step-by-step instructions w/ pictures online... thanks! Nicole

Lawn chief lawn mower rider looking for fuse [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lawn chief riding lawn mower where is the fuse located?

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Toro 1744HXL riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need a diagram for replacing the belt in the mowing deck of a Toro 17-44HLX riding mower

View more questions Search