Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Properties Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
    9 inch rough in
    Hi, I am remodeling an older home the original owners put an addition on that included a half bath in the new utility room. The rough opening from the sheetrock to the center of the flange is 9 inches without chipping concrete out and putting in an offset. Is there anything else I can do to elimanate the process of chipping the floor? There was a toilet in the half bath, however, the toilet was thrown away when the home was gutted from Katrina. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks AM
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 14, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I found this on the web. It was a answer to a question to another site in 1999 You may have to call American Standard and check.
    They manufacture a 9 inch rough in at American Standard, but they don't advertise it because of the building code requirements. The tank placement atop the bowl requires a 10 inch distance from the back wall finish, to prevent the toilet from leaning, and getting cracked when a person of a heavier weight than 160 pounds sits on it heavily. The dealer asks that you sign a disclaimer and hold harmless agreement when you install it, because it breals the hold down bolt holes in the porcelain base. You can get a stainless steel bowl that has a 9 inch rough in too, but they're usually for high vandalism areas or for jailhouse prison installations, and they're too expensive for residential use. You can use a 10 inch rough in if you indent the wall at the sixteen inch on center wall studs, and make them 24 inch centers, and then recess the tank into the finish wall, and gain your inch that way. Or, I guess it's obvious, you can reset your flange and sewer to fit the 12 inch rough in.
    I was surprised to find a bowl the roughed at nine inches. I thought that 10 inches was the smallest. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Properties
    Hi, I am remodeling an older home the original owners put an addition on that included a half bath in the new utility room. The rough opening from the sheetrock to the center of the flange is 9 inches without chipping concrete out and putting in an offset. Is there anything else I can do to elimanate the process of chipping the floor? There was a toilet in the half bath, however, the toilet was thrown away when the home was gutted from Katrina. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks AM
    If the wall behind the toilet is an interior wall, you could flat-stud the wall and gain an inch or so.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
    You should be able to fit in 10inch rough toilet. Also, these days, Toto makes toilets that address this problem: you buy Toto toilet and than 9" rough-in flange separately. It is much less problem, and more economical, than breaking up your slab.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rounding to the nearest 1/2 inch and inch [ 4 Answers ]

Sarah was asked to round 4 7/8 in to the nearest 1/2 inch and to the nearest inch. Her answer was the same. Explain why Sarah is correct. Would it be 5 inches. :)

One inch gas pipe [ 3 Answers ]

What length of unthreaded one inch gas pipe should be exposed when stubbed out from a finished wall

Replacing 17 inch monitor with 19 inch [ 3 Answers ]

I wish to replace my 17 inch NEC LCD monitor with a Staples 19 inch LCD monitor My computer is a Gateway Do I need to change any settings as the monitor keeps switching off

Need 46 inch wide shower [ 7 Answers ]

I need to replace one of my one-piece, fiberglass showers. It is 46" wide, 34 " deep. Does anyone know where I can find a 46 inch wide shower? All of the units on the market seem to be either 36", 48" or 60". Thanks for your help!

View more questions Search