Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xkon2007 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 12:32 AM
    About webmail
    Webmail accounts use POP3 , IMAP or something else? Why?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 12, 2008, 12:36 AM
    Depends on the provider.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Some ISP's will allow either one. Here are some differences between the two:

POP3 - (Post Office Protocol 3) is a "store-and-forward" type of system that delivers all of your email to you when you connect to the mail server. The emails are then stored on your computer after they are delivered.

IMAP - (Internet Message Access Protocol) keeps email on the server where it can be viewed. The message headers are downloaded to the client so that a list of available emails can be seen. Emails are not retrieved by the client unless they are asked for. Since a continuous connection is required for this type of system, it is typically used as internal company email systems where email is kept on a centralilzed server.

The POP3 system is most used by Internet providers since it is less expensive both in bandwidth and storage space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Logging on to Orange Webmail [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site and this is my first question. I am not a computer techie but have navigated through a number of problems in the past. However, this one is beyond me - I have been logging into Orange Webmail for a long time and today for the first time ever I am unable to get past the...

Orange Webmail [ 0 Answers ]

When accessing my Orange Webmail I can only see the new, unopened messages in the Inbox and not the entire contents of the Inbox. I have looked through their 'help' pages but don't seem to be able to find an answer. Can anyone help please?

Webmail problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. How to get Trash n Sent folder deleted mail in Yahoo and Rediff?

Orange webmail [ 4 Answers ]

I'm having real problems accessing my email account with orange 9/10 times I get the message your browser does not accept cookies I don't have this problem with any of my other email accounts I have tried resetting my cookie browser but the problem just won't go away Please help I'm at my wits...

Extract Email attachments from Webmail [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know if there is a tool which can help me extract all email attachments from any webmail and store them locally. Gaurav..

View more questions Search