Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phili28 Posts: 66, Reputation: 0

Jun 11, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Gender selection
    We are going to try for a baby, I have been reading that if your body has a higher acidic ph you are more likely to conceive a baby girl.

Is this so?

And if you take folic acid before you start trying to conceive would this help to make a girl ?

Thanks
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Jun 11, 2008, 09:48 AM
    There is no way to select what gender of child you are having, its 50/50, either a boy or a girl, you get what god wants you to have. I took folic acid for months prior to getting pregnant, and I have a baby boy :)
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Folic acid is for the prevention of spina bifida-it has NOTHING to do with sex determination.

By using the billings method, you can fairly well determine the sex of your child.

The theory is: for a boy, sex must occur ONCE on the day of ovulation-male sperms are fast and meet the ovum quickly, therefore conception occurs with them.

For a girl, sex must occur before ovulation so that the males die off by the time of ovulation, the slower more resilient female sperms then reach the ovum.

The theory seems to work as we have a boy and a girl, that were determined by this method-it could be coincidence-but we're happy!!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Your partner's sperm determine the sex of the baby. Your eggs contain just a female or X chromosome, whereas a man's sperm contains either a male, or Y, chromosome or an X. The sperm that gets to the egg first and fertilises it will determine the sex of the child. Female sperms are larger and swim slower than the males. Once the male sperm arrives the egg may not have been released from the ovary and the sperm dies off. The female sperm arrives later by which time the egg has been released and fertilisation takes place.

Ovulation kits can help as listed above.

Also,this may sound stupid but I read if male goes scuba diving its kills the y chromosome, that's for a boy, or at least slows it down, I going look for that article at work.

Good Luck for a girl.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 04:31 PM
    That's funny, I thought I just wrote something similar.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 04:40 PM
    I did not read your, but I will edit mines, sorry.
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Jun 11, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayman
    folic acid is for the prevention of spina bifida-it has NOTHING to do with sex determination.

by using the billings method, you can fairly well determine the sex of your child.

the theory is: for a boy, sex must occur ONCE on the day of ovulation-male sperms are fast and meet the ovum quickly, therefore conception occurs with them.

for a girl, sex must occur before ovulation so that the males die off by the time of ovulation, the slower more resilient female sperms then reach the ovum.

the theory seems to work as we have a boy and a girl, that were determined by this method-it could be coincidence-but we're happy!!!
    Actullay that is funny mine was totally diff when we had sex before ovulation we had boys when we had sex on the ovulatin days a girl lol!
    Sitkadiver Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Nov 10, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Your partner's sperm determine the sex of the baby. Your eggs contain just a female or X chromosome, whereas a man's sperm contains either a male, or Y, chromosome or an X. The sperm that gets to the egg first and fertilises it will determine the sex of the child. Female sperms are larger and swim slower than the males. Once the male sperm arrives the egg may not have been released from the ovary and the sperm dies off. The female sperm arrives later by which time the egg has been released and fertilisation takes place.

Ovulation kits can help as listed above.

Also,this may sound stupid but I read if male goes scuba diving its kills the y chromosome, that's for a boy, or at least slows it down, I going look for that article at work.

Good Luck for a girl.
    Interesting, but I from my experience, I'm a commercial diver, it doesn't hold true. My son was conceived during the busiest time of year for me. And I spend about 280 days in the water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gender selection [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if there are any steps to follow to ensure that I conceive a baby boy

Gender of a baby [ 7 Answers ]

I am pregnant and its my 10 week, did any one has a test method to know what is the gender of my baby.. is it a babyboy or babygirl?

What about the gender? [ 7 Answers ]

Hiya I know its just impossible to know what you are having as in GENDER but does someone have an tricks or secrets on how to find out what gender your/my baby is?? Thanks

Determine Gender [ 1 Answers ]

I am 15 weeks pregnant. How many weeks will I have to be before the gender of my baby can be detected by ultrasound?:)

Everything Has A Gender [ 1 Answers ]

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender... *Ziploc Bags are Male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them. *Copiers are Female, because once turned off; it takes a while to warm them up again. It's an effective reproductive device if the...

View more questions Search