Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    florry06 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Potty training taking so long!
    I just wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom. I introduced a potty months ago and now my daughter is 2 I have been making a big effort to potty train but she is so inconsistent. She is 26 months and tells me when she has done a pee, likes her potty, understands but sometimes just loses interest and pees on the floor. Today she has done this 3 times and won't sit on the potty. Is she just not ready yet? She pees on the floor even though the potty is sitting right beside her. Why? She is a clever wee thing and I know she understands and have tried rewards, mega-praise, pants, new potty, books, dvds but she is so inconsistent. Losing my will! Help.
    jessirich Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2008, 09:45 AM
    When I worked at a daycare, we had the hardest time with the potty training of girls. With little boys, we could put cheerios or even lit candles in the toilet and have them to try to put out the flame, but with girls it is a whole other story. One of the things that some of the girls did was they wanted to sit backwards on the toilet (the thought this was so cool for some reason). Something else that helped was rewards.. I see that you've tried that though. It may just not be her time to start. It usually has to be something that they want to do, not just something the parent wants them to do. The only thing advice that I can give is to never punish her for not doing it. That will have the opposite reaction that you will want. Good luck with potty training... Sometimes it can be very upsetting!
    lvgeek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 03:29 PM
    My son is just over 3 and just getting started, everything was good for a month and now he waits until the last second, is not interested, will not attempt to go before trips, etc.

With him at least part of it is a control issue, he is discontent with the fact that his biological functions dictate when he has to do something. Yes that is complex, but that is him

I definitely am a person that wants results immediately, but have learned to be patient. This is something they will figure out in time. We did go back to "a jelly bean for a pee" to encourage the toilet use, and it helps.

And with the previous post, I agree, only positive re-enforcement.

Maybe try books on the topic too. "No more diapers for Ducky" is a fun one.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 03:38 PM
    My daughter did that, peed beside the potty. I got her a tiny mop and told her that it was her responsibility to clean up pee on the floor. She never used the mop, used the potty stool to climb up on the big toilet to pee.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
    One of my friends gave me a tip when I started training my daughter--put her on the toilet every hour, whether she said she had to go or not. She had to sit there for a few minutes and if nothing happened we'd wait an hour and do it again. If she peed then an hour later she had to sit on there again. It sounded strange but I tried it and it worked! By the end of the second day she was trained.

Jun 12, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Thanks for all the advice. Since I looked up my answers I have been using a reward jar that she can have if she uses the potty and she is doing well. She wonders around the house in just pants or nothing is that what you all did. She has had several accidents but more often uses the potty. She pood in her pants today so I just cleaned her and she carried on but if she has had 2 accidents today and amnaged the rest of the time is this normal? Or do I go back to nappies?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Have her wear "pull-ups" as these catch accidents and can be taken on and off by her.

Jun 19, 2008, 03:10 AM
    Just to let you know that my daughter nowloves her potty and we have few accidents - the sticker book and a small chocolate raisin each time helped lot and she now loves he potty. We need to venture out soon and start her with pants on but one step at a time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having a hard time getting my 3 1/2 year old son potty trained. He will go pee in the toilet, but he will not poop. He will go peep in the toilet then go and poop in his pants. I have tried everything! Anyone please help. I don't want him starting pre-school still potting in his...

Potty training for 8yr boy [ 12 Answers ]

My 8 yr old boy is not able to clean himself properly after poop, which stained his underwears.. its disgusting but he doesn't feel bad at all.. He developed this habit in 2-3 months before... we explained him so many times to improve it.. grounded him... gave him time out... seems nothing...

Potty training [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's one for the experienced moms in here. My son turned 3 in August and he is still not potty trained. I think I am at my wits end. He does go when he's at school with the other children. He never has accidents there but at home its like a train wreck. I have tried punishment I have tried...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

View more questions Search