Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WhoDini6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Funny Smelling Water
    Basically the issue is that all the water in the house has this very funny smell. To describe the smell as easy and descriptive as possible it smells like farts. Any idea what this could be and how to fix it would be great. Thanks.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 10, 2008, 06:18 AM
    One possibility is that the water has a high sulfur content. This is more likely if you are on well water. Water from a municipal system would be less likely to have an order, but it is possible depending on where you are.

If you are on well water and there is a farm pond in your vicinity (especially up hill from your water), there might be another explanation.

Is it possible to ask a neighbor if the area water is high in sulfur?
    WhoDini6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 06:28 AM
    The house does have well water and there is a pond near by. Is there a way to get rid of the sulfur smell?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Most water softner companies have a good filtering and softning system that can remove much of the odor and contaminents. Call a few and get estimates and have them test your water, even if you have no intention of buying a system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater macing funny noises [ 1 Answers ]

My water heater only 4-5 y/old start making funny noises resembling low frequency hum which would change in pitch. Tried to drain it, shut cold water intake = no change. This noise will travel tru pipes and get really annoing. Is this time to change it?

Bad Smelling Water Supply [ 4 Answers ]

When I start my washing machine, I noticed a bad smell form the incoming water supply. Can you tell me why it doesn't have an odor out of my faucets in the house? How can I fix this problem? David

Mildew smelling water when I first turn on faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I have been in my house about a year and a half. It was built in 2005. We noticed after the first month, that the water smelled like mildew in our downstairs bathroom. If we let the water run for about 10-15 seconds, the smell would be gone. We thought it was kind of strange, but none of our...

Gas water heater making funny noises [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sprinkler problem in the front yard that has made it necessary to turn off the supply to the house. SInce I did that, the gas water heater has started t make squeaking noises. What, if anything should I do?

Moldy Smelling Water from RO Line @ fridge [ 4 Answers ]

I had a water filtration system installed three months ago, along with an RO line to both my sink(its an independent faucet), and then also to my 9 year old kenmore side by side. We never had water connected to it prior, as we always purchased drinking water, our iron levels were very high and the...

View more questions Search